Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we need Backtrack installed on hard drive ?

Hybrid View

Default Do we need Backtrack installed on hard drive ?

This is a high recommend questino of mine. Now I've found that BT5 is good but we should install it or not. My pendrive doesn't have enough space, so I need members' advices. BT5 is based on Lucid, Installing repositories or any apps running on ubuntu is considerd not very easy in some forum I google for.

THanks for advices

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Do we need Backtrack installed on hard drive ?

BT5 is meant for penetration testing. If you want to have a desktop linux os for normal usage, install ubuntu or something like that.

My friend,

Backtrack is recommended for PenTesters. That means it is meant to be used by people who are fluid in Linux, not just learning. I would recommend Ubuntu or Fedora for ya if yer just starting out.

Pffbt..

Quote Originally Posted by tunglam123 View Post
    This is a high recommend questino of mine. Now I've found that BT5 is good but we should install it or not. My pendrive doesn't have enough space, so I need members' advices. BT5 is based on Lucid, Installing repositories or any apps running on ubuntu is considerd not very easy in some forum I google for.

THanks for advices
    Hey;

I find having BT installed on my Lappy great for seek times and for all round awesomeness - but i all so have my mobile pendrive setup with the option;

Useing UNetbootin ("Space used to preserve files across reboots(Ubuntu only) set to 4 gig") this meens any thing that is downloaded, saved to desktop, updates,upgrades,dist upgrades are not lost during reboots;

I would recommend you getting either a bigger flash drive that wont kill the bank 8 gig flash drives going for $20 these days.;

Or installing this on your lappy for a dual boot option - the more you use the distro the more you will understand it;

Cheers;

Digimaori;

Quote Originally Posted by tunglam123 View Post

THanks for advices
    yes, it's best to install to hard-drive, and about the repositories you can add any third party repository that works specifically on ubuntu 10.04 only don't enable the official Ubuntu repositories as you may mess up backtract with the Ubuntu updates also you don't need the Ubuntu repositories as you can install about any application from the backtrack repositories.
    I have backtract 5 KDE installed alongside Windows 7 and Ubuntu, I don't use backtract for pentesting, I just like to use backtract for daily desktop use, It took me a few days to get things working like in a normal desktop, installing all my favorite KDE applications, getting sound/video and printing working but still keeping backtract 5 intact for the purpose it was built for.

Just burned his ISO

I think it runs faster from a hard drive than from a thumb drive.

Thanks for your advices, I have XP running and dual Ubuntu Lucid Lynx. I just plan to do that thing, but now I should turn into using VirtualBox. Thanks again. God bless you guys

gandaran,

I don't use backtract for pentesting, I just like to use backtract for daily desktop use,
    Yer gunna get pwn3d man...

Just burned his ISO

yes not a bad idea at all lol.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu777 View Post
    gandaran,

Yer gunna get pwn3d man...
    what an alarmist post, assuming the backtrack user with a hd installed bt OS box who is fictionally going to get "pwned" actually does not know what they are doing in linux. it's a leap of faith to assume someone who is not using bt as a penetration distro does not know what they are doing at all.a decent bet if you were say playing cards; but nonetheless it is a gamble. assuming so isn't such a great idea, at all.

this is exactly what a bt user,for instance; setting up a honey, or rogue ap would love for you to believe at first glance.
    "it's ok to have at it". not always,so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast