Thread: Installation Troubles

Just burned his ISO

Default Installation Troubles

Hello everyone,
    Recently I downloaded 32-bit BT5 R1 Gnome, and I made the recording to a DVD.
    That done, I proceeded to the installation step and chose "BackTrack Text - Default Boot Text Mode". Then a new window open and shows the hardware ID and then this procedure stops in this line:

[ 3,688915]fb: conflicting fb hw usage nouveaufb vs VESA VGA - removing generic driver

I tested the other methods like Stealth, Forensics and Debug and none of them pass through that line.
    I had the win XP installed in my laptop and i tried to install BT5 over a virtual machine and it was a successful installation ( i used the Text Mode) and i tested it over and over and it work fine.
    But i don't want winXP in my laptop!!! i want BT5 ONLY.

So i reboot the laptop and i tried the method "noDRM" and bam the Backtrack is Running, i install bt5 but when i reboot the laptop the same error appears:
    [ 3,688915]fb: conflicting fb hw usage nouveaufb vs VESA VGA - removing generic driver

I appreciate any help that you can give me

Observations:
    1º- I use the same DVD for all tests
    2º - My system is:
    Acer Aspire 5634 wlmi
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB)
    1GB DD2-SDRAM
    8X DVD-Super Multi drive
    15.4” CrystalBrite LCD (glossy)
    120GB 5400rpm Seagate HDD
    Nvidia GeForce Go 7300
    Integrated High-Definition audio support

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: Installation Troubles

It looks to me that nouveau driver is not for your nvidia card model. You can do this if you want:
    Download the nvidia driver for your card at the nvidia website, do it accordingly.
    Make sure you have the linux headers install as well as "gcc" and "make", before installing the driver. This, to avoid any problem.

Enter the safe mode or text mode, uninstall the nouveau driver and blacklist it in the modprobe blacklist.conf (/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, just type "blacklist nouveau", save it and exit) install the nvidia driver (previously downloaded from nvidia website and according to your card model), just follow the instructions.

Startx the X's (startx) or just reboot (reboot) at prompt.
    If you startx and see some problems, you might want to do this:
    modprobe -r nouveau
    modprobe nvidia.

If you just reboot, at startup it will load all sistem with new nvidia driver.
    If you are not familiar with linux, just reboot.

Why install nvidia driver?
    1. Avoid error messages.
    2. 3D support.
    3. If you want to use compiz, emerald, desktop special effects.

Good luck...
    If you want just to pentest, leave it the way it works for you.

Just burned his ISO

Hi i have the same error, i tried following your instructions but it didn't same to work... is their any way you can help?

Just burned his ISO

Question Re: Installation Troubles

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    It looks to me that nouveau driver is not for your nvidia card model. You can do this if you want:
    Download the nvidia driver for your card at the nvidia website, do it accordingly.
    Make sure you have the linux headers install as well as "gcc" and "make", before installing the driver. This, to avoid any problem.

Enter the safe mode or text mode, uninstall the nouveau driver and blacklist it in the modprobe blacklist.conf (/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, just type "blacklist nouveau", save it and exit) install the nvidia driver (previously downloaded from nvidia website and according to your card model), just follow the instructions.

modprobe -r nouveau
    modprobe nvidia.

1. Avoid error messages.
    2. 3D support.

Good luck...
    Hello all,

I have got this error :

[ 5,694449]fb: conflicting fb hw usage radeondrmfb vs VESA VGA - removing generic driver

I have seem problem you can help me plz . I want to install BackTrack 5 with Windows 7 and I had Ubuntu 11.10 before. I have 3 partition on

my hard c:for Windows e:for linux d:for pic or something like that.

Screen Shot :

Just burned his ISO

is it possible to download and install all nvidia drivers so that no matter which computer i happen to be on it will recognize it.
    i use bt 5r1 on several different computers and most have nvidia cards different ones

Just burned their ISO

modprobe -r nouveau
    modprobe nvidia.

1. Avoid error messages.
    2. 3D support.

Good luck...
    Hey brother,
    Need some help desperately.
    Seeing as to not being able to private message you, I have no other choice but to bring up this thread.
    Here's my situation.
    I put bt5 on a stick and booted it up. I then received the fb conflicting error and it stopped dead there.
    I then restarted and edited the startup commands and was able to bypass the error. After I was able to install bt5, it asked me to reboot. I did and now I am getting this same error with no way past it no matter what commands I edit. I don't fully understand your thread and was hoping you could elaborate.
    Could you please help me? Thank you and I would ever be indebted to you.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate2013 View Post
    Hey brother,
    Need some help desperately.
    Seeing as to not being able to private message you, I have no other choice but to bring up this thread.
    Here's my situation.
    I put bt5 on a stick and booted it up. I then received the fb conflicting error and it stopped dead there.
    I then restarted and edited the startup commands and was able to bypass the error. After I was able to install bt5, it asked me to reboot. I did and now I am getting this same error with no way past it no matter what commands I edit. I don't fully understand your thread and was hoping you could elaborate.
    Could you please help me? Thank you and I would ever be indebted to you.
    Well, this thread is quite old, so I would strongly suggest to open up a new one..Please post video hardware and exact error..I'll follow up your thread as well as other members..

And ok, try to do this:
    when BT5 menu shows up, at "text mode" option, press "tab" key and you will get into edition mode, your text mode option command line will show up, at the end of it, disable KMS:

How? Add at the end of line: nouveau.modeset=0 Then just press "esc" key, it will return to the Text Mode option, hit enter and start loading OS.

See what happens...I'm taking for granted that you have a nvidia video card...This post is for nvidia card...
    Last edited by maverik35; 02-11-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Just burned their ISO

Well, this thread is quite old, so I would strongly suggest to open up a new one..Please post video hardware and exact error..I'll follow up your thread as well as other members..

And ok, try to do this:
    when BT5 menu shows up, at "text mode" option, press "tab" key and you will get into edition mode, your text mode option command line will show up, at the end of it, disable KMS:

How? Add at the end of line: nouveau.modeset=0 Then just press "esc" key, it will return to the Text Mode option, hit enter and start loading OS.

See what happens...I'm taking for granted that you have a nvidia video card...This post is for nvidia card...
    Terribly sorry to waste your time. In the time it took for a moderator to grant my post, I found help elsewhere. My issue has been resolved. Thank you.