Thread: Running programs from command

Just burned his ISO

Default Running programs from command

I just downloaded BackTrack 2.0 final Live CD and it seems to run OK but I know nothing about Linux and can't get programs to run from the command prompt. For example this what I get when I try to run airodump:

bt ~# airodump
    bash: airodump: command not found

I've searched the forum for hours but am more confused than before. The How-to for the live cd says that after the cd boots up and you log on to reboot but when I do that it just does the same thing again, but if I just type startx it seems to work OK.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by exmreo View Post
    I just downloaded BackTrack 2.0 final Live CD and it seems to run OK but I know nothing about Linux and can't get programs to run from the command prompt. For example this what I get when I try to run airodump:

bt ~# airodump

I've searched the forum for hours but am more confused than before. The How-to for the live cd says that after the cd boots up and you log on to reboot but when I do that it just does the same thing again, but if I just type startx it seems to work OK.
    the command is airodump-ng. go to the bt wiki {on your tool bar} there are tutorials for lots of basic stuff

Quote Originally Posted by exmreo View Post

bt ~# airodump

First of all, the command is
    Code:
    airodump-ng
    As are all of the tools in the Aircrack-ng suite.

Second, the reboot and poweroff commands are there to show you how to properly shut down BT2 from the command prompt. They have nothing to do with actually using it.

Third, if you're new to Linux, read this thread first; and considering learning basic Slax/Linux commands. Otherwise, you will be in way over your head.

Fourth, ask yourself: Why are you using BT2? Are you a pentester? Do you really have a need to use this? You can use aircrack-ng in almost any Linux distro.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Find the airodump program in the menu (under Backtrack somewhere), then click on it.

This will open a new shell.

Try running it from that shell.

If it still doesn't work try doing:

Code:
    ls
    and seeing if the name of the program is slightly different (maybe it now has a version number).

I can't check for you at the moment as my B|T install is at work.

Question asked and answered; spoonfeeding exhausted; thread closed.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";