Thread: Booting Error -USB Drive Install -Looping Error After First Boot

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Booting Error -USB Drive Install -Looping Error After First Boot

I installed Backtrack 5R1 on my Sony 16GB thumb drive using UNETbootin-win-549 with BT5R1-GNOME-32.ISO. I setup my BIOS in the Sony VAIO Laptop, Model, PCG-7192L. The first time I ran Backtrack, it worked without error except I didn't get connected to a wireless access point. I kept getting wrong password errors while setting up the wireless connection manager but my password was not wrong. I had to leave for a meeting so I logged out of Backtrack and shut down my latop. After the meeting I came back to work more with the wireless access point issue. This time when I booted up and selected the "Default" Backtrack 5R1 bootup in the selection list, I get a lop of errors that keeps cycling in numbers that looks like this:

[ 81.937896] EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode refrenced: 176

The loop error keeps changing the numbers in the brackets [] and goes on a never-ending loop. The referenced numbers at the end change too. I even tried to boot up in Safe Mode as well and got the same. My install is 'USB Persistent'.

I checked the MD5 Checksum to make sure the ISO file was not corrupted. the first boot worked as it should.

Any idea what is going on?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Booting Error -USB Drive Install -Looping Error After First Boot

This errormessage basically says that the "ext2" filesystem is broken.
    Sounds to me like you'll have to reformat (or exchange) the USB-stick and reinstall BT5R1.
    Maybe you'll want to choose ext4 instead of ext2 this time?
    ...Just my two cents. Better wait for an answer of a more experienced user, first.

Just burned his ISO

Default Riferimento: Booting Error -USB Drive Install -Looping Error After First Boot

i have the same error. How can i change ext2 to ext4 in a USB installation?

Just burned his ISO

Question Re: Booting Error -USB Drive Install -Looping Error After First Boot

Was a solution ever found for this? I am having the same exact problem. I determined that I can still get into the konsole by typing startx even though the error message is looping. Once in the GUI I see a message flashing at the bottom stating that the file manager is starting.

The only way I have been able to fix this is to reformat the flash and reload it, which I am sure everyone knows is time consuming. I am using the BT5R2_GNOME_32 version in persistent mode on an 8 GB flash. I have a couple of systems I use the flash on. One of them is a Dell Dimension 3100, XP Pro SP3, 2GB Ram, 3.06 GHz P4.

Just burned his ISO

That happened to me once, I restarted the Pc and it booted normally... Try rebooting 2 more times

Just burned his ISO

Hi everyone
    I faced same problem. On second boot an endless rolling of
    EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode refrenced*****(3 to 5 digits)
    I tried creating the bootable usb (persistive) with unetbootin in windows 7 and ubuntu also with lili and universal creator in windows 7. Same problem.
    I also could not update firefox properly. After updating firefox wouldn't start and-or backtrack wouldn't power off. I had to do a hard power off. Also some new files (not all) dissapeared after reboot.

I am using a 4 gb usb (Fat32). Originally i used almost all the remaining space (~1gb) to create persistence.
    Yesterday i tried again (with universal usb installer) using about half (500 Mb)

Everything runs smooth since. I updated firefox succesfully new files are always in place and there is no rolling error message.
    At least 20 reboots till now.

Hope it helps!

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

It seems to me like you have some sectors of USB unit damaged....I would buy another usb and try it...The space where you installed BT5 (smaller than the first time of 1Gb) is not using the possible damaged space.

The error states a ext2 file system?..BT5 uses ext4. Unless the ext2 is used during installation as Filesystem in the USB case. But still, I can format a USB as NTFS, FAT, Ext2, ext3, ext4, raiserFS...

This is a very personal point of view...
    Last edited by maverik35; 05-31-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Propably not. I tried various 4Gb sticks with same results.
    I alco faced problems with xubuntu live persistent usb's but as i left enough free space all problems dissapeared.
    I think it has to do with the process of auto partitioning. For some reason extra space might be needed.
    I am currently reading on manually partitioning the live persistent usb and when i'm ready i'll give it a try.

Just burned his ISO

The issue is not the USB Drive. I tried several with the same result. The issue is that casper-rw file loaded on the flash drive become corrupted after the first one or two uses and need to be repaired.

The way I get around it is to carry both (annoying to have to carry both but it works) a Flash loaded with BT5 r2 persistance and a CD loaded with BT5 r2 Live. If the casper-rw on the flash drive gets corrupted, I restart the PC with the Live CD and run the repair on the file in the flash drive. The issue resolves temporarily and I am able to use the persistance version which gives me access to the changes and udpates I made on the flash drive version.

If I am not mistaken, the command is "e2fsck /media/casper-rw" or "e2fsck /cdrom/casper-rw".

Be aware that this is only a temp fix and it will likely come back after one or two more uses of the flash.