Thread: No matter what I try to install, backtrack hates me. (USB-Boot, more details inside)

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy No matter what I try to install, backtrack hates me. (USB-Boot, more details inside)

My only option is to USB-boot, since I can't spare HD to partition on the laptop. I would've loved running a virtual server but it is my understanding that I can't make use of my Atheros AR8151 if I'm not actually booting the system.

Current system specs are as follows:

Intel i5-2410 CPU @ 2.30 GHz
    8GB DDR3 Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (2GB VRAM)

I have tried the following operating systems:

BT5-GNOME-64
    BT5-GNOME-32
    BT5-KDE-64
    BT5-KDE-32
    BT5R1-KDE-32
    BT5R1-GNOME-32

Generally, when I try and boot a 64-bit linux, the monitor shuts off. Most of the time, typing "reboot" or pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL restarts the computer but the problem doesn't go away.
    When booting 32-bit linux, it usually boots fine the first time but not after that, I continually experience random errors such as:
    Code:
    [   108.341046] EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inote referenced: 58841
    Right now, I'm trying to boot BT5-R1-GNOME-64 and I experience this line near the bottom:
    Code:
    ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.DD02._BCL] (Node ffff8802533763e8), AE_NOT_FOUND (20110316/psparse-536)
    Shortly thereafter, this loads:
    Code:
    BusyBox v1.13.3 Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system
    I use UNetbootin to install to the USB stick and generally set persistence to 1024 MB. It really sucks that it keeps breaking like this, but the one time I actually got linux to run more than once was when I had persistence at 256 MB, but I ran out of space when I was "prepare-kernel-source"-ing or whatever the command was.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by throstur; 09-07-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: No matter what I try to install, backtrack hates me. (USB-Boot, more details insi

UPDATE: It seems like setting persistence is what makes the booting fail. I'm not actually sure but it definitely looks like it's trying to boot but can't find the file system. I guess until someone mans up and tries to help me I'll be spending a half hour to reconfigure everything again every time I boot up.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: No matter what I try to install, backtrack hates me. (USB-Boot, more details insi

I used to just hold the powerbutton to shut down backtrack.

At the next boot I'd get lots of these:

EXT2-fs (loop1) error: ext2_lookup:

Since I very neatly log of first and then enter 'shutdown -h 0' I haven't seen them anymore.

It could very well be that I saw one or two in the corner of my eye the other day.

Not sure though.