Thread: Im noob, I cant find the dictionary.

Just burned his ISO

Question Im noob, I cant find the dictionary.

I was reading how to crack wpa-psk and the instructions are simple enough but there is one line that I need help with. I am using backtrack 2.

aircrack-ng -a 2 -e (ESSID of AP) -b (MAC of AP) -w (path to dictionary) (name of .cap file)

It's the last part, I don't know where the dictionary is of what the name of the .cap file should be. please help me out.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by cdkiller View Post
    I was reading how to crack wpa-psk and the instructions are simple enough but there is one line that I need help with. I am using backtrack 2.

aircrack-ng -a 2 -e (ESSID of AP) -b (MAC of AP) -w (path to dictionary) (name of .cap file)

It's the last part, I don't know where the dictionary is of what the name of the .cap file should be. please help me out.
    The path to the dictionary would be the path where you have your dictionary file stored. The file name of the .cap file would be whatever you called your .cap file when you captured it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by cdkiller View Post

the cap file is whatever you name it with the -w option in your airodump command line. there is a few dictionary files in the pentest directory but your better off getting your own word lists. try the packet storm button on your toolbar

Just burned his ISO

Ok I have downloaded a dictionary file, also I see that john the ripper can generate dictionaries, I would do some reading on that later, but for now I will try the dictionaries I downloaded. Ok for some reason backtrack 2 not connecting me to the internet, I can ping my router but I cannot ping google, so I have to reboot into windows to come look for information. For that reason I would like to know if I can load the dictionary file from a usb flash drive since all my partitions are ntfs and I do not know if backtrack could mount those.

"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

I am not really a noob to linux. I have used redhat 6 straight up to redhat 9, and I have recompiled kernels etc. However I have stopped using linux for quite a few years so I am very rusty. I am a noob at backtrack though cuz I went trying to type pico and vi and it was not there, so I'm thinking how am I gona read files now, lol. That being said, I do thank you for suggesting the thread and I am checking it out now. It will give me a chance to reduce my rustiness.

To tell the truth I stopped using linux because redhat got greedy and start passing off a low quality fedora core release that basically gives a lot of errors. I remember I had to compile my drivers for rh9 and when I tried to do it for fedora it just would not work, I am sure the exact same thing would have worked in rh enterprise so that's when I realized that redhat programmers lost their passion for coding and just do it for money. I have yet to decide which is better between slackware and suse, when that happens I would consider using one but time is what I hardly have.

Then use slackware as your main distro and BT2 for the fun stuff and you will be able to learn at least three times as fast as you would otherwise with two separate distros