Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a password list for the BTHomehub2 for PSK cracking

Just burned his ISO

Default Creating a password list for the BTHomehub2 for PSK cracking

Hiya.
    I'm trying to crack my WPA2 CCMP PSK on my BTHomehub2.
    I've captured the 4-way handshake but now I'm at a loss.
    The key isn't a dictionary word as it seems to be a ten char hex string (I don't know if this is true for all of them, but it certainly seems that may as mine and my parents key both fit that description).

I'm not sure if there is a way to brute-force it with settings to only look for a ten character hex string.

My script-fu is poor so does anyone know a way to create a list for the entire keyspace (0000000001 - ffffffffff)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

`Ph0x

Default Re: Creating a password list for the BTHomehub2 for PSK cracking

I think that the default wpa key is 10 characters long consisting of 0-9 and the letters a-f (in lower case)

I'm not sure that there's a regular pattern either e.g. the letters don't seem to be fixed in the same location for each password, I've seen a few and they're all jumbled. I've been looking at this on and off for sometime and haven't really found a good way of creating a dictionary file for these.

This is how I was going about it before, maybe you could improve on what I'm doing;

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...tml#post191285

it's quick in the sense that you don't have to wait days for a password file that starts with a lot phrases such as 0000000000, 0000000001 etc. but it's a lengthy process when you start doing it over and over! One step that's not in that thread is the sorting after the initial file.

Use
    Code:
    sort -R file.txt > sort.txt
    to randomize the file, then use sed to append the lines. I find it gives you much better passwords, instead of having aaaa1 being appended to aaaa2 etc. etc. (aaaa1aaaa2 is pretty useless)

Another problem is that all the passwords I've made so far are completely random....I've no idea what I have and what I don't so all the work could end up with me having duplicates and completely missed phrases. I could test yours against the wordlist I've created so far, it has about 30 million passwords in it...if you give me your SSID I can create a rainbow table to see if it contains the key? Entirely up to you.
    Last edited by Jimmy87; 06-13-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: rambling on

yes it is 10 characters a-f 1-10. if i calculated right a password list is about a trillion combinations. I tried over 1/2 billion and gave up lol. would take ages and a lot of space to make a complete list. i think once prehashed this was over 50gb.
    I used a password generator (Password Generator Pro 2008 version) which u can set to make what u want. All mine were random and it checks for repeats. Then i used Pyrit with CUDA, to make the pre hashes.
    If anyone comes up with a better formula would be lovely.
    Only reason i tried because BT told a customer it was impossible to crack. Well its damn hard, not impossible!
    Pyrit is missing from Backtrack 5, a big mistake, but can be installed.

Just burned his ISO

Hi.
    Thanks for the replies.

I found Crunch not long after I put the post up, but as I'm new, it took a while for it to be approved.
    I wasn't thinking correctly of just how big it would be. Math fail on my part.
    I was thinking 16+16+16... Not 16*16*16... The perils of working when tired!
    Crunch gave me a total list size of >11TB for it unhashed so NOOOO! Guess I won't be doing that! :-D

I started looking into Pyrit, but I'm running in a VM, so I can't install the needed drivers to get the CUDA support running for it.
    Guess I'll have to install to HD (or USB) at some point to give it a try.

only problem with Crunch is, doesnt randomize the letters/numbers why i used password generator pro as that does. But still a lot of combinations. Still maybe one day i will get another BIG hard drive Also if u pre-hash the words which does make it quick, But if your looking for a complete database, you have to do all the Essid's which is also a lot. So a long time, crunching the hashes, you really need CUDA a very fast Graphics card or 2. I have a Nvidia GTX560ti which really boosts crunching time, but still would take a long time.
    I suppose i should try a full Database of Essid's and keep adding combinations. And by the year 2525 might be complete and obsolete lol.
    Unless loads of others do bits, and split payload. Mind u no real reason to, but a challenge and to prove wrong is fun lol.

Good friend of the forums

You can pass crunch's output into aircrack and probably pyrit.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    You can pass crunch's output into aircrack and probably pyrit.
    It works great

Here is how I would run it in OPs situation
    Code:
    ./crunch 10 10 1234567890abcdefg | pyrit -e ssid -r ssid.cap -i - attack_passthrough
    "Never do anything against conscience -- even if the state demands it."
    -- Albert Einstein

@Scamentology

Do you have a setup where you could run that command?

At the moment I can't use pyrit as I don't have a compatible card to use it, but I'd like to know how many keys per second it could crunch? Or any sort of benchamrking really.

Thanks

I am running 2x 465gtx cards (I am looking for a board that can handle 4) and get around 60k pmks. It takes me 4 days to punch through every number to 10 digits
    If I run pyrit on my i3 laptop NOT supporting cuda I get as many PMKs as aircrack would give me (about 1200 PMKs)
    If you have the rainbow tables then just pipe it to cowpatty instead or do it in the cloud

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy87 View Post
    @Scamentology

Do you have a setup where you could run that command?

At the moment I can't use pyrit as I don't have a compatible card to use it, but I'd like to know how many keys per second it could crunch? Or any sort of benchamrking really.

Thanks
    Last edited by Scamentology; 06-16-2011 at 11:48 AM.
    "Never do anything against conscience -- even if the state demands it."
    -- Albert Einstein

Thanks for the info. I think I'm definitely going to have to invest in a decent card and get a system setup, will look into pyrit some more then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast