Thread: how to train backtrack?

Just burned his ISO

Default how to train backtrack?

Hello,

I have seen the final edition of backtrack 4, downloaded it, and I'm installing it (right now) again on a 16 GB Sandisk pendrive.
    I am trying it now with 2.5G of swap space, because when I try to give swap 512MB memory, my USB works very slow.

I want to do a course the next 4 years in Holland, named Forensic IT. (translated).
    I was wondering if you could give me advice how I can prepare on it using backtrack. (would that be usefull for me?)

I am using ubuntu-linux since a year, before that always Windows. So I don't know everyting about the linux commands yet.
    Can you give me advise how I can teach myself the backtrack things.. ( I mean Backtrack==> information ghatering, network mapping etc. etc.) on the best?

thanks,

Pr3diker

p.s I'm sorry for my bad english
    Last edited by pr3diker; 01-20-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: how to train backtrack?

Aquillar> hey, you guys ever play kmem russian roulette?
    Agnostos> I don't believe I have. care to explain the details?
    Aquillar> dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/kmem bs=1 count=1 seek=$RANDOM
    Aquillar> keep executing until system crashes
    Aquillar> person that crashes system has to buy beer
    Agnostos> lol
    Agnostos> I wonder if I can sneak that into a server startup script here.

Linux is Linux... BT4 is ubuntu based if I'm not mistaken so all your commands you use in ubuntu in theory should work on Backtrack. If you are taking an Intro course to forensics then they will probably go over some (if any) of the tools that are in Backtrack. I personally have taken 3 (on my 4th) Computer/Digital Forensics course at college. For a true forensic purpose, you do not want to use Backtrack because it is a penetration testing distro. Use something like Helix 3 for forensics. Although BT4 has a forensics mode, Helix is verified in the court systems. Helix is also Ubuntu based.

Agreed on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Protocol View Post
    Use something like Helix 3 for forensics. Although BT4 has a forensics mode, Helix is verified in the court systems.
    The idea that certain tools are "court verified" is actually a bit of a myth. As long as the tool produces reliable results that can be independantly verified, and the examiner uses a proper process that they can defend under examination, the particular tools used don't really matter.

Discussion of this at the following links.

Windows Incident Response: When a tool is just a tool, pt II
    Computer Forensics | Digital Forensics: Tool Versions in Court Cases: Three Criteria for Any Forensic Tool

Agreed about the Offsec training - its great.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

@ Snarp & Mr. Protocol

I'm sure that the course from Off.Sec. is great.. But I'm still a student, so I want to learn everyting so cheap as possible (if possible for free). I think that I would follow such training when I'm a little richer.

Just burned his ISO

For quickly setup a test labo to play around with BT4 you can give a try to the MUTILLIDAE package; you can find it at Irongeek.com

Just burned his ISO

irongeek seems good.

I'll download the video's and will study on them. I hope it helps.

Thanks for your replys

Pr3diker

Just burned his ISO

Archangel.Amael wrote a good thread ==> http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad-thread.html

I think that following this instructions, will help a lot. Does it really take 10 years to teach yourself programming? To become a good hacker?