I am using BT5 KDE 32-bit, installed on harddisk, working as "root".

I regularly do 3 things to stay up to date:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
"Start" / "System" / "KPackageKit" / SoftwareUpdate
which usually is not a problem.

This week, there arrived multiple updates that way:
msf has been upgraded from version 3 to version 4 (and also upgraded the datamodel of the postgres-database).
kernel has been updated from version 2.6.38 to 2.6.38.8 first, and the very next day further to 2.6.39.4

While usually these updates don't do any harm, the latest ones (kernel and msf) caused some serious
problems:

msfupdate throws errors, seems to process updates anyways (?) though:
svn: /opt/framework/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /opt/framework/lib/libserf-0.so.0)
svn: /opt/framework/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /opt/framework/lib/libserf-0.so.0)
svn: /opt/framework/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /opt/framework/lib/libserf-0.so.0)
svn: /opt/framework/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /opt/framework/lib/libserf-0.so.0)
(after these lines of errors, it continues with the name of *.rb modules without error and ends with a "Updated to rexision xxxxx").

in armitage:
this msfconsole command:
db_nmap -T4 -Pn -v -A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where of course the last parameter is a real IP)
worked fine before the above mentioned updates. Now, often throws an errormessage (cannot reproroduce at the moment, though)
with something about an undefined symbol in "..../lib/libdns... GLIBC_2.0" (cannot remember exactly).

Questions:
Why do the updates from the BT repository destroy the seamless functionality between armitage/msfconsole/msfupdate ?
And how do I repair those tools?
Why is armitage and w3af NEVER updated?
How do I upgrade my BT5 to BT5R1? (Is it automatically, or with "apt-get dist-upgrade", or installing the ISO over the existing
installation will upgrade the existing installation, or is even a complete new reinstallation with the new ISO necessary and will
destroy my existing BT5?)