Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I install Correctly?

Just burned his ISO

Question Did I install Correctly?

I have installed backtrack 4 final on my Dell Optiplex 170L using dual boot mode, when I reboot it does show the correct options, however I was not prompted for a login name and password during installation and when I get to the GUI the install.sh is still on the desktop. Is that where it was supposed to be? Seems like is should have only appeared on the live cd. Also, there isnt a GUI for login on reboot, I did not see where I was told to login as root and required to type startx everytime I start backtrack, is there a way to make the login process faster and easier?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Did I install Correctly?

Just checking; are you sure that you boot from HD not from DVD?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redneck View Post
    I have installed backtrack 4 final on my Dell Optiplex 170L using dual boot mode, when I reboot it does show the correct options, however I was not prompted for a login name and password during installation and when I get to the GUI the install.sh is still on the desktop. Is that where it was supposed to be? Seems like is should have only appeared on the live cd. Also, there isnt a GUI for login on reboot, I did not see where I was told to login as root and required to type startx everytime I start backtrack, is there a way to make the login process faster and easier?
    After the initial install of a live cd it would actually be the same as the live cd until you start saving files downloading etc.
    As such the install script will be there until you delete it.
    As for the gui login this is not ubuntu and as such not everyone wants or needs a gui login process.
    However you should be able to download kdm from the repos and that should solve the problems with a gui and auto login.

I have installed backtrack 4 final on my Dell Optiplex 170L using dual boot mode, when I reboot it does show the correct options, however I was not prompted for a login name and password during installation and when I get to the GUI the install.sh is still on the desktop. Is that where it was supposed to be? Seems like is should have only appeared on the live cd.
    Yes, this is normal. When using the script, you will copy all the contents of the liveCD to your HD, so it's normal that install.sh still appears after install. Just Shift+Del it.

Also, there isnt a GUI for login on reboot, I did not see where I was told to login as root and required to type startx everytime I start backtrack, is there a way to make the login process faster and easier?
    There's a way to make BT to boot directly into the graphical environment. Search "autologin startx bt" on google, you will find a topic on the subject from the old forums.

Just burned his ISO

The default user for BT4 is root.
    You can safely delete install.sh.
    Search the old forum for an answer to your last question.

Wkr

Just burned his ISO SETI_explorer's Avatar

install.sh stays on the Desktop after installation, too. You can remove it.
    When you boot from Live CD, BT4 will not ask you for a password, so you are logged in as root by default.
    For graphical login, install GDM.

Similar problem. Login doesn't bother me at all, but I too was never prompted for a username and password. Logged in as root and the install.sh is still there and I the tab in control center to add users does not seem to be there. I swear it was under system administration before, but its not showing up now.

Just burned his ISO

For the installation part, if the cd is out of the cd drive and you are booting only off of the harddrive the install was good. I would assume you can delete the install.sh.

Just burned his ISO

where do I find install.sh.?

Yeah, sorry. Realized right after posting that I needed to go rtfm, but couldn't edit because of the first three posts rule. Was assuming that it would install just like the pre-release did. Suppose I shouldn't assume things. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast