Thread: Having some laptop problems

Just burned his ISO

Default Having some laptop problems

Ok, to start, I have 2 laptops. A Gateway MT6711 and a EEE PC 700 (2GB). Now I am trying to get my gateway laptop diagnosed and fixed because it sucks trying to run BT5 from that old eee pc. Takes me like 2 or 3 minutes just to get metasploit up and running.......

OK so the gateway laptop come pre-installed with vista. The laptop got pretty messed up so the OS was removed and downgraded to XP. The laptop wasn't meant to run XP and I had various driver problems (had everything working except wifi, which is really the only thing I need). So I decided to screw windows all together and installed Ubuntu to it. Something went wrong during the partitioning and OS installation.

When I turn on the laptop doesn't start up. It stays at a Yukon PXE screen and fails to load up something. It also gives me a Smart Start error saying that the HDD may be bad and I should immediately backup my data (don't need anything restored anyway). The BIOS is detecting the HDD.

Now heres where the problems come into play. Sometimes the laptop works fine for a couple minutes/hours and I can run BT5 from USB or CD/DVD. It detects my HDD (can't access it though). And I can't install BT5 because it ends up freezing when going to the partition screen. Whenever I try to access the HDD or the HDD is accessed (I can see the indicator blinking on the button so I know it is detecting it) the laptop will freeze.

Sometimes the screen will flash pink in some areas and freeze, sometimes it will just freeze. Only way out of it is a hard reboot and then most of the time the screen will not turn back on although everything else is powered up. Sometimes it will turn on immediately.

I have tried starting BT5 without the HDD inserted and it worked a little longer but it still ended up freezing.

I am not sure if the problems is my HDD or maybe my laptop is messed up internally? What do you all think I can do to fix it?.....besides buying new gear.

Default Re: Having some laptop problems

Sounds like a hardware problem. BackTrack should be able to mount pretty much any file system out at the moment, so you shouldn't be having problems with that part. I'd try swapping the drive first. If it's still not mountable, it's probably the laptop's mobo, in which case you need a new one.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Before completely swapping drives, have you tried just booting up with a Ubuntu Live CD/USB and use Gparted to reformat it? The filesystem maybe corrupt and just needs proper reformatting. At least worth a shot before getting a new drive or entire mobo.

Just burned his ISO

I can't even access the HDD. It is displayed as a 158GB FILESYSTEM and I can click on it a million times but it won't ever open. I said whenever I try to access the HDD the laptop freezes so I can't partition it (already tried it with gparted in BT4 and Ubuntu, both resulted in instant freezes)

I even tried using windows recovery console but then it won't detect the HDD or it will freeze up when it access the HDD.

More than likely I am going to need a new mobo, unfortunately. The laptop was dropped so maybe something had got loosened or something. I completely took it apart yesterday and found some plastic bits (the things that hold the screws in place) broken off but that should not of been causing my problems. I checked the LCD connector, all the cables are fine. Nothing else was broken or loose. Strange. Would be nice if I can salvage some parts and put them on my eee pc. Unfortunately that has no upgradable RAM, not sure if it would take the wifi card (more than likely not) and it would be nice to swap out processors (like I said, 2 or 3 minutes to load up metasploit on that eee pc compared to the 20 or 30 seconds it took on that gateway laptop, makes me wanna throw that eee pc in the trash)

Just burned his ISO

zeppelin,

I had a Gateway laptop in a couple months ago that was over heating and would shut down. I ended up taking the bottom part of the case apart, b\c the heat sink catches link and dust and prevents the fan from blowing the hot air out. When I got the bottom apart it was clogged really bad, looked like my dryer lint catch, blew out the fan reapplied paste to the cpu and it works nonstop.

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

so you said it works fine for a coup[le minutes/hours? then what, does it crash or just down right turn off? If the laptop runs off the live dvd for hours on end and everything seems ok then id probably get a new hdd for it they are really cheap. On the other hand if you are having cooling problems or memory addressing problems with are hardware based, ...personally id toss it. i run bt5 on a couple ibm's from 2004 but these are very high quality machines, and worth their weight in eeepc's. does that eeepc have a hdd install since the startup time for metasploit sounds really long... my t42 starts it in a few seconds....
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

Just burned his ISO

Yeah I cleaned everything even I took it apart, my heat sinks were very dusty but it is still acting weird.

It will sometimes run for a good hour or two with no problems. Then it will just all of a sudden freeze. It will get stuck at whatever screen, cant move the mouse or type anything, only thing I can do is a hard reboot. Yeah I think I am gonna have to toss is....or eBay it haha.

That eee pc is very old (I jumped on the UMPC game when they first were released) so it only has a 2gb SSD (garbage, I know) hell it doesn't even have an OS on it because I can't find anything small enough for it that has the features I want. Takes me a good 2 minutes before I can startx but it does work pretty well if you can adjust to the small screen, wrong screen resolution, and tiny keyboard. I mean its not totally trash, I have successfully cracked a LOT of things with that eee pc despite all its limitations.

Looks like I gotta get a new laptop. Shouldn't be a problem, I have done some very evil things in my day. I may be broke but I have 3 things; guns, guts, and ganja and thats all I need to get anything.

Just burned his ISO

well I managed to get the laptop fixed. Turned out a RAM card was causing the freezing. I am unsure if it was the card itself or the plug its connected into. The laptop ran on 2 512MB cards and now I have it running on 1 with absolutely no problems (well thats a lie, if I try to run a lot of programs the screen will get all jumbled up and I will have to do a hard reboot but its only happened to me once and that was because I was running like 7 tools and then tried to open that 400+mb dictionary file). I have just been to lazy to plug the RAM card I am using into the plug I don't know works to see if it is broken or if it was the card.

i took it apart and plugged in one peripheral at a time until I got it working, then I put the BIOS back to default, restarted and ran BT5 and it stayed on all day with no problems.

I'd rather have to buy replacement parts than a whole new laptop or motherboard any day.....besides it gives me the opportunity to get much better/updated parts. I am thinking some 2GB RAM cards, an external antenna, and maybe a 500GB or 1TB HDD (beats that 120GB HDD I have had in their since the laptop was purchased) .

I also went back to BT4R2. BT5 was just to slimmed down and BT5R1 was buggy and I hated to always have to do 10 minutes of setting up before I was ready to start pentesting. BT4R2 does take a good 30 seconds longer to startup and does have that annoying startup music but all I have to do is update metasploit and I am ready to go.

and to anyone reading, got any knowledge to share on how things work? I mean I know how to "hack" and do all the dirty things you can do with BT but I am now at the point where I am more interested in how the tools work and how I can develop them better or make then meet my needs better. So if anyone has any advice on how and why tools work I would appreciate the info.

Just burned his ISO

Tried the card in the first (top) slot. When a card is in there the screen does not turn on. Both cards work perfectly but only in the second card slot. No biggy though. I can use 1 2GB card and be happy considering it is much faster than the 512MB card I am using. won't be a speed demon but will be fast enough to do what i need to do.

my screen gets all messed up when i do a lot of tasks. looks scrambled like when there is a heat problem and all i can do is a hard reboot. i wonder if its because I am just doing to much for that slow card?