Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: airmon-ng displays no interface,chipset or driver

Default Re: airmon-ng displays no interface,chipset or driver

Quote Originally Posted by trouble18 View Post
    Hey could the others create a new thread thanks - Reamer, I am following the instructions on the second post of the other thread which you gave me. In which directory should i place aircrack-ng-1.1.tar.gz?
    PM'ed you, it doesn't need to be anywhere specific, nor do you have to be in the directory to run the commands. Once you install the aircrack-ng suite it puts the correct files where they need to be to be ran globally.

Quote Originally Posted by trouble18 View Post
    Hey could the others create a new thread thanks - Reamer, I am following the instructions on the second post of the other thread which you gave me. In which directory should i place aircrack-ng-1.1.tar.gz?
    anything you do with aircrack-ng should be done inside /pentest/wireless/aircrack-ng# if you want clean...

sickness and maxfx have both posted very capable scripts which perform these sort of updates for you. if you do not know where you should untar specific updated packages, why are you trying to do it manually?

is this problem solved?
    i want to know because im having the same problem too, upon inputing "airmon-ng" on new terminal it shows nothing no interface, chipset and drivers.

my problem is do i need to buy new adapter for this? even though my laptop is wifi supported,

Hi.

Not that i'm that experienced with backtrack, since i'm using another distro (Linux Mint 12).

I also ran into some problems when trying to run my distro in VirtualBox from Oracle. I also bought a USB wireless adapter (TP-LINK with High Gain antenna, can't remember product's reference) and i couldn't load the drivers in the virtualbox. I have an older laptop with the same distribution in wich the adapter started to work immediatly.

After some search i found that someone had reported this problem to the virtualbox dev team, which answered back saying that USB was a too complex feature and some devices might not work. Indeed... i thought.

From there, i installed VMware Player and had no more problems. The adapter worked immediatly. In fact, i think VMware Player is more friendly for those who are always pluging devices to virtual machines.

I then ran into a problem, that you might find later, "fixed channel mon0". It's a pain, but i easily solved it by installing the later drivers from http://wireless.kernel.org. through this howto http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1598930

Quote Originally Posted by Magnet0 View Post
    is this problem solved?
    i want to know because im having the same problem too, upon inputing "airmon-ng" on new terminal it shows nothing no interface, chipset and drivers.

my problem is do i need to buy new adapter for this? even though my laptop is wifi supported,
    Did you try the fix I posted in post #6?
    Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
    Did you try the fix I posted in post #6?
    yeah i tried it, i downloaded aircrack-ng-1-1.tar.gz
    but still it doesn't work, maybe my wireless card is not injection supported, "broadcom 802.11n wireless adapter"
    what do you think sir? is this the problem why "airmon-ng" command shows nothing?

do i need to purchase USB wireless Adapter for me to be able to do so?or is thier any way or chance for me to make it?
    Last edited by Magnet0; 06-25-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magnet0 View Post
    yeah i tried it, i downloaded aircrack-ng-1-1.tar.gz
    but still it doesn't work, maybe my wireless card is not injection supported, "broadcom 802.11n wireless adapter"
    what do you think sir? is this the problem why "airmon-ng" command shows nothing?

do i need to purchase USB wireless Adapter for me to be able to do so?or is thier any way or chance for me to make it?
    Once again, please, always keep in mind one thing: BT5 is the OS based on Ubuntu, and aircrack-ng is a suite within BT5, as well as Metasploit and all the other programs.

If you are having issues with aircrack-ng, please refer to the aircrack web page, under compatibility drivers section (http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?...st_card_to_buy).

If your card is not there, you can expect to just install the correct driver if needed and be able to use the rest of BT5, but not aircrack.....

You might need to buy a mini-pci/pci-e wifi, a pcmcia or pcmcia-e wifi or USB wifi...But refer to the page to see what chipset is supported, otherwise, you will end up with the same situation and only be able to use the other programs...Why? simple, aircrack-ng suite requires 1 thing: That driver (some need to be patched, in such case, they provide the patch according to its web page I posted) is able to inject packets in Monitor mode...

Luck..

Just burned his ISO

having same problem. dont know if Backtrack can support belkin usb. and if it cant can i use my Atheros AR5B125 Wireless Network Adapter default adapter

ifconfig.jpgiwconfig.jpglspci.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kakarot View Post
    having same problem. dont know if Backtrack can support belkin usb. and if it cant can i use my Atheros AR5B125 Wireless Network Adapter default adapter

ifconfig.jpgiwconfig.jpglspci.jpg
    You can't use internal adapter in a VM!

Just burned his ISO

So Ive read all the comments and looked through ALOT of youtube vids and they are very informative but the interface,chip-set and driver are still not showing up i dont really understand i have a netgear WNA3100 usb network adapter running on a windows 7 host computer. I'm trying to obtain the WEP key of my router using BackTrack 5. Could i get some help with this greatly appreciated

thanks..........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast