Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Security 101 - a paper I wrote for school. Could be helpful

Just burned his ISO

Default Wireless Security 101 - a paper I wrote for school. Could be helpful

Hey everyone -

I've been a long time lurker and figured I should try to contribute something. This is a paper I wrote for school on wireless security. I was a complete noob and wanted to learn all that I could about cracking wireless networks.

If you want a quick and dirty introduction to the world of wireless security and how to use Backtrack for testing purposes, give this paper a read.

The topics include:
    -Active vs Passive Scanning of wireless networks
    -Cracking WEP and WPA
    -ARP Spoofing
    -Man in the Middle Attacks including SSL Stripping.

I tried to explain not only how to do the things above, but how they work. I certainly learned alot and hope that somebody else out there gets something from this.

Feedback definitely appreciated! I will try to help out also anyway I can if you have any questions. I plan on adding to it as I learn new things, so suggestions are welcome too.

Google Doc Page: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...3YTI3&hl=en_US

Ronnie (tadzio)

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Wireless Security 101 - a paper I wrote for school. Could be helpful

I found it to be very useful as there are some topics I have yet learned. The paper details their fundamentals in an user friendly way. Nicely done!

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Re: Wireless Security 101 - a paper I wrote for school. Could be helpful

very excellent article

Default Re: Wireless Security 101 - a paper I wrote for school. Could be helpful

subnet is 10.0.0.1-255.
    This is quite impossible
    Perhaps you mean 255.255.255.0?

Really nice and detailed paper further on, easy to read. Kudos
    Last edited by voidnecron; 08-24-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Just skimmed it, but will be reading it thoroughly over the next few days. Well written & researched paper...my hat's off to you
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Good friend of the forums comaX's Avatar

Default Re : Wireless Security 101 - a paper I wrote for school. Could be helpful

Mitm attacks are not related to wireless security, but I understand why you would include that. I'll give it a better read when I have the time
    Running both KDE and GNOME BT5 flawlessly. Thank you !

Just burned his ISO

Default AW: Wireless Security 101 - a paper I wrote for school. Could be helpful

its a really good paper with all basic information somebody need about this topic, tanks to you

I also briefly skimmed the text. A couple of things I think worth mentioning are defeating defenses such as hiding the SSID and MAC address filtering. You could mention that tools such as kismet and airodump-ng are capable of detecting hidden SSIDs and capturing whitelisted MAC addresses. You can give an example of spoofing a MAC address to gain access to an access point that uses MAC address filtering.

Just burned his ISO

what a great job

you may add this website as one of your references for your next research.

waiting for your next papers

Very good work, i sure understand better now how does WEP and WPA works in a more accurate way. Thanks tadzio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast