Thread: "Unable to enumerate USB on port 5"

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default "Unable to enumerate USB on port 5"

I'm new to backtrack and I'm using an HP Pavilion DV2500 and it boots and runs perfectly with the live cd but when I try and boot from the HDD after installing it gives me this error message "Unable to enumerate USB on port 5". It keeps looping this message over and over and I can not get passed it.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: "Unable to enumerate USB on port 5"

Your mileage may vary: I was able to keep this from occurring by the following: toggling the ehci_hcd by unbinding and rebinding.

The device in particular that I think was messing me was a card reader and/or webcam. I'm going to write a basic script to do this for me automagically at startup until I can figure out a better work around. After spending too much time trying to simply disable power to the devices themselves this seems to work. I'm still pretty n00b with linux though so don't hang me if it doesn't work for you.

It mainly seems that some devices don't play well with usb 2.0 with the latest kernel and, well, beyond that you have me.

open terminal and:

cd /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd

now 'ls' and see the devices listed. I had two, 0000:00:2.1 and 0000:00.4.1 so I issued the following commands:

sh -c 'echo -n "0000:00:02.1" > unbind'
    sh -c 'echo -n "0000:00:04.1" > unbind'

and then cause, eh, i wanted some usb devices I binded them again. Not sure why but the process of unbinding and binding seems to keep that cursed message from clogging the sys log but it does so feel free to issue the following:

sh -c 'echo -n "0000:00:04.1" > bind'
    sh -c 'echo -n "0000:00:02.1" > bind'

where the 4.1 and 2.1 would be the devices listed from your ls command.

... only took a few hours of googling to finally find a solution. Not sure if posting outside links is ok (please PM me if not, read through the FAQ but didn't see any reference to no outside links), but I found this idea here: http://www.absolutelytech.com/2010/0...ling-ehci_hcd/ - Only through trial and error did I find I could then bind again without it spamming the syslog, though I'm hesitant to use the built-in card-reader on my machine for fear it'll start cycling again (and because I don't even have a memory card to test it with).

Hope this helps!
    L.T.