Thread: BackTrack2 - Problems running Kismet

Just burned his ISO

Default BackTrack2 - Problems running Kismet

Total newbie here.

I burnt BackTrack2 into a CD, booted my laptop, and everything went fine. When I try to run Kismet from the Shell, I get the following error:

Server Options: none
    Client Options: none
    Starting server...
    Waiting for server to start before starting UI
    Suid priv-dropping disabled - This may not be secure
    No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled
    Enabling channel hopping
    Enabling channel splitting
    FATAL: No packsources were enabled. Make sure that if you use an enablesource line that you specify the correct sources.

When I run iwconfig I get:

lo no wireless extensions
    eth0 no wireless extensions

My laptop is a HP Pavillion tx1000 Notebook, the processor is an AMD Turion 64, 2 gig RAM, 32-bit system, the network adapter is a Broadcom 4321AG 802.11a/b/gdraft-n, and a NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller.

My research indicates that the Broadcom Network Adapter should work fine, however, it doesn't seem to.

Please help!!! Take in consideration that I am totally inexperienced with Linux commands.

Thank you!!!

Do not double post. As per the rules you agreed to and observed, when signing up - your posts will be held in a queue awaiting moderation for a the first few days of membership.

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielwk View Post
    Please help!!! Take in consideration that I am totally inexperienced with Linux commands.
    BT is far from a starter distro. Try something like Ubuntu etc until you're comfortable working in Linux.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Default Sorry aboout double posting

New member. I thought my first posting didn't go through because I never received a confirmation.

Don't run it from the console.
    There are some startup scripts involved to allow it to auto-detect your (supported) interface, when launched via the menu entry.

Run it from the menu entry.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you, I will. However, I already use Vista in my laptop. Would Ubuntu OS overwrite my hard drive if I install it? Would you suggest a partition in my HD for Linux?

ty!!