Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: One persons journey with Back Track

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: One persons journey with Back Track

QUOTE=AnActivist Hey guys,
    This posting project is not dead, I've just been backed up because school is starting soon, I should be able to get the rest of the article posted and commented along with others soon.
    A bit off topic: I've been thinking about turned my old desktop into a webserver, I think it would be a good learning experience from both and administrative and a pentesters perspective. I'm trying to find some good information but am having trouble sifting through all the bull of different sites trying to get you to use their free web hosting or domain names/ sites with minimal info. I'll keep searching on my own but I want to ask around to see if anyone has any good reading sources for definitive guides to taking an old desktop computer and turned into into a fully operational web server. Thanks for any info.

QUOTE=pureh@te The how to forge web site has some excellent tutorials on building webservers with ubuntu and a few other distros. Some of them are a little cluttered with mail servers and DNS servers but its set up in a way that you can leave that stuff out.

QUOTE=AnActivist Thanks pure_h@te I'm working through this one, right now

Pure_h@te thanks again for the recommendation. I have a working web server up and running as we speak . I'm going to be maintaining it in the coming months to help me learn what it is like to be the admin of a server. It will be maintained completely remotely which will be fun. I don't really know anything about web design but I'll be trying my best to get it looking a little bit better than it does now. I'll be doing most of my future documentation via that site, which may also be fun. A little To Do list before I start pulling together the documentation for the projects I've been working on:
    -(maybe) get my own domain name instead of the free dyndns one
    -figure out how to make a decent template for future documentation
    -add some aesthetically pleasing features to the site
    -figure out how to putt a commenting feature on the site

The last one is something I really have no idea if its even possible, like I said I know nothing about web design, but I will be doing some research in the next coming days. I should have the middle two finished in about two days and will be following up with some very interesting links/ I hope to finish the paper bellow (this should probably be another couple days) Then I want to read the bottom two links that lupin posted (I browsed through them and they look really interesting.

If your interested in checking out a web site that is being hosted on a barley functional Toshiba Satellite Pro from around 1999 browse on over to:

swiftslothproductions

I'm looking forward to pulling together some stuff finally. Please share any cool projects your working on.

The above post is the end of the documentation. I have where possible included all important part of the thread. Some posts that were not needed were left out.
    If there is something that someone would like to add to this thread then by all means please do.
    I hope that others continue to find this information of value.

Holly cow, what a monster thread!
    Thanks for all the hard work to make this amount of info available here on the new forums.
    I'll give it some reading once i have (a lot of) time.

Just burned his ISO

Really... really expert posts! Thanks!

Archangel.Amael,
    you are a crazy guy.

Thank you for sharing.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Re: One persons journey with Back Track

looks to be a great read. this should entertain me for a bit. thanks to all who contributed to it.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Archangel.Amael Thanks for sharing! Very informative posts, I'm guessing these came from the old forums? I wonder how I missed reading these earlier.

This is pure gold nice metasploit tricks

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt View Post
    Archangel.Amael Thanks for sharing! Very informative posts, I'm guessing these came from the old forums? I wonder how I missed reading these earlier.
    Hey no problem. This is indeed from the old forums and I really thought it was a good thread, that not only shows someone who was willing to learn, but also share that experience with others.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Re: One persons journey with Back Track

Wow, great writing...
    The only truly secure computer is one buried in concrete, with the power turned off and the network cable cut. ~??????

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast