Thread: bt5 is not booting when netbook battery is connected

Hybrid View

Default bt5 is not booting when netbook battery is connected

I have backtrack 5-kde successfully installed and running ok in my msi wind u100 netbook. It boots and starts ok only when my netbook is connected to ac adapter. With the battery connected it fails at booting and is not starting the login screen. Is it an acpi error? What I must change in the grub in order to boot both in ac-battery modes? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by khaos; 08-06-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Default Re: bt5 is not booting when netbook battery is connected

Maybe try downloading your .iso again. I can't imagine it being a problem with KDE. I use Gnome but I just reinstalled BT5 on my MSI Wind u100 and it works perfectly. My battery is shot too, fully charged and I have the battery indicator saying that I have 50 minutes of up time left. Using it just to update Metasploit and it dropped to 40 minutes.

Did you tried to boot only with battery without ac adapter and it works?

Yes. The first boot after installing was without the AC adapter plugged in and it worked just fine. Having a weird problem updating Metasploit but no power issues.

Hmm I don't know.thanks for the help. Did you used unetbootin? I will check also the gnome version

No problem. I did use unetbootin, actually used it from the BackTrack 5 install on my Dell Inspiron laptop, much better support for packet injection.

Ok I don't think that the gnome is not the solution nut i will check it

When I power my netbook with battery and ac it says: "phy0 - rt2800pci_mcu_status: Error - MCU request failed, no response fron hardware"
    and is not giving me the console to login.

When I power my netbook with ac only it says that error and gives me the console in order to login and start the x server.

What is the problem? Damaged battery? lol

So when you're powering it on and it works it's without the battery in at all? I don't see how a battery could cause the problem. I guess maybe though, if the battery is faulty then it could be hindering power from getting to the hardware, I don't have any problems with my hardware loading with or without the AC power.

Just burned his ISO

I have the same problem. The laptop I am using is brand new. A Toshiba Satellite M645. With Windows installed, everything worked as should. Formatted and installed BackTrack on the whole harddrive. BackTrack boots up normally when using AC power. It does not boot up at all on the battery when the AC is not plugged in. I used the AC and booted up the laptop and BackTrack, and tried to take the AC power out of the computer, to see if it stayed on and continued to use the battery. No such luck. The computer stopped immidiately. I just Googled to see if anybody else had this problem, since I thought it might be a Toshiba problem and a garanti issue, but it seems others are having the same problem.

EDIT: I just have to mention that this was not a BackTrack problem. I went in on:
    proc - acpi - battery - BAT1, and checked the file "state". It said, remaining capacity 0 mAh.
    I bought an identical laptop for my wife, when I bought this one. I tried her battery and the laptop worked fine.
    Last edited by hashes; 10-13-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: A solution to the problem was found