Thread: Virtual Machine Bridged IP - Mac OSX Wireless - BT5

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Virtual Machine Bridged IP - Mac OSX Wireless - BT5

Has anyone been able to successfully configure a bridged network connection (either Parallels or VMware) in Mac OSX using the wireless network adapter? Using shared (nat) works fine, but bridged won't detect the IP address. I believe this to be a linux issue as it happens in both BT5 and Ubuntu, but works in Windows VMs. It could be a driver issue.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Virtual Machine Bridged IP - Mac OSX Wireless - BT5

Quote Originally Posted by NightLion View Post
    Has anyone been able to successfully configure a bridged network connection (either Parallels or VMware) in Mac OSX using the wireless network adapter? Using shared (nat) works fine, but bridged won't detect the IP address. I believe this to be a linux issue as it happens in both BT5 and Ubuntu, but works in Windows VMs. It could be a driver issue.

Any ideas?
    No problems on osx Lion both BT5 and Ubuntu

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by thaijames View Post
    No problems on osx Lion both BT5 and Ubuntu
    James -- You're saying that you are able to resolve an IP address when using a Bridged connection to your WIRELESS card? Is this on a laptop or desktop? I can establish an IP only when connected to ethernet.

Please let me know. I still haven't figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by NightLion View Post
    James -- You're saying that you are able to resolve an IP address when using a Bridged connection to your WIRELESS card? Is this on a laptop or desktop? I can establish an IP only when connected to ethernet.

Please let me know. I still haven't figured it out.
    Hmm, I am not sure If I am answering your question properly but here is a more detailed answer:

I am using a Mac Air running osx LION with latest version of VMware Fusion. I have 4-5 wireless adapters, they don't all work on backtrack. but the 3 of them do, the R73, RTL8187 and another one which I can't remember. I did install the wireless compat tools. But I am pretty sure that the R73 worked before that. But I was getting errors with airmon-ng. so I installed wireless compat tools and that solved quite a few problems. (actually it might be that you just need to plug and unplug the usb adapter until it works)

I never use NAT I only use bridge networking, I don't have an Ethernet connection (Mac Air's don't have Ethernet jacks)

When creating a bridge connection, I have tried all options and they all work.
    I have tried both getting ip from DHCP server and entering a static address and there is no problem.

I did try Virtual Box and I could never get the USB recognized on the MAC, maybe that is your problem. I have no problem with VirtualBox on my Linux Laptops and prefer it. However does not seem to work well on MAC Laptop.

If you give me more info about your setup might be able to help with your problem.

It was a headache compared to VMs on Windows or Linux, but got everything running fine now on the MAC air which is an awesome laptop for pentesting.

Oh in case you were referring to the built in wireless card not USB, I have no problems with that either.