Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to check if your bt2final.iso is or isn't corrupt through Windows or Linux)

Default How to check if your bt2final.iso is or isn't corrupt through Windows or Linux)

I will assume you are doing this in windows so

download hashcalc from

http://www.slavasoft.com/hashcalc/index.htm

Its a free tool

Install it if it needs it

open hashcalc
    uncheck all the checkboxes except md5
    change data format to file
    in the data box at the right hand side is a button with 3 dots in click it now navigate to where you downloaded bt2final.iso and select it and click open

now press calculate
    after a few seconds (or more depending on your computer speed) there will be a string next to the md5

now compare that to the md5 hash on the download page

if they are the same then your iso is ok if not the you need to download it again

the hash should be 990940d975f13d8418b0daa175560ae0

Now for linux

make sure that bt2final.iso is somewhere easy to navigate to eg \root

Open a console Window and navigate to that folder and type

md5sum bt2final.iso

after a few seconds you will get a response

990940d975f13d8418b0daa175560ae0 bt2final.iso

as long as this is the same as the hash should be, you are good to go.

BTW these steps will work for any file that you need to check the md5 for.

@moderators:

any chance to make this sticky?
    The answer is 42.

Thank you for thinking that it is useful enough to warrant being stickied

I only did it because I just had to give it as an answer and have often seen people say to check your iso

I only did it because I just had to give it as an answer and have often seen people say to check your iso
    yes, i think its worth, because there could be many problems basing on a invalid checksum, like the "i cannot login with root and toor" or "my bt says bad checksum" and so on. Errors that at first don't point to a bad checksum.
    The answer is 42.

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    I will assume you are doing this in windows so

download hashcalc from

http://www.slavasoft.com/hashcalc/index.htm

Its a free tool

Install it if it needs it

open hashcalc
    uncheck all the checkboxes except md5
    change data format to file
    in the data box at the right hand side is a button with 3 dots in click it now navigate to where you downloaded bt2final.iso and select it and click open

now press calculate
    after a few seconds (or more depending on your computer speed) there will be a string next to the md5

now compare that to the md5 hash on the download page

if they are the same then your iso is ok if not the you need to download it again

the hash should be 990940d975f13d8418b0daa175560ae0
    Posting a windows soft in a Linux based forum. Have you gone mad balding_parrot?? I do agree that this should be stickied because of the need to verify the md5 checksum. So many times I have heard, "Your ISO is corrupt. Re-download it and burn it slower." Geesh, If I had a dollar everytime I read that post..I'd have 20 bucks! Thanks for the post old man.

GOOD STUFF!
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Xploitz View Post
    Posting a windows soft in a Linux based forum. Have you gone mad balding_parrot??

"Gone mad" quite possibly

But I reasoned it thus

Anyone that has used linux for any period of time would have most likely have come accross a md5 on at least one occasion and therefore is more likely to know how to deal with it. Most of these type of questions that could have stemed from a corrupt download would appear to come from linux newbies and therefore windows users.

I wrote it because I have seen many people say to check your download without further explanation and it was a question That I answered today.

So mad yes but reasoned

Ok just to make everyone happy and to show I am not as mad as you thought I have just updated this to include linux instructions

I used md5sum as it is generally included on most distros

Shame I cannot edit the title to reflect the addition of linux instructions

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    Shame I cannot edit the title to reflect the addition of linux instructions
    I edited it for you.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Many Thanks

How about a way to read back the disk after it's burned and verify the disk has the same md5sum as the iso, with windows. I know how to do it with linux. Don't tell me to use the verify function in a windows burning program either. I've used dd to read disks verified with nero whose md5sums didn't match the iso.

I use a script called rawread to do this with linux. It might eliminate some problems if there was an "easy" way to do this with windows. I've found this problem to exist mostly with cheap media and high speed cdrw.

Any ideas?

md5sum.exe is available for windows, btw. I understand that using this app would probably involve explaining how to open command.exe to some. I agree that the program suggested makes good sense.

Good Work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast