Thread: Using Nmap

Just burned his ISO

Default Using Nmap

I noticed something yesterday while playing around with Nmap. I did a scan for IP addy's on my home router and it made the router reset. I was scanning my AT&T 2Wire. I wanted to see the different device signatures; iPhone, iPad, Comps and other wireless devices. By the end of each scan "root@bt # nmap 192.168.1.50-80" my router would reset and drop all connections. I got out my old Linksys '54 and a newer Cisco N band router, hooked them up and got the same thing. Reset. I went to Zenmap and tried the same command, same thing happened. Am I doing something wrong? It does not seem like that would be a desirable effect for a scan to crash the router.
    That first scan cost me a night on the couch, My wife was watching a movie on Netflix streaming.

Default Re: Using Nmap

Nmap can certainly crash a router. I have done it many times.
    "Never do anything against conscience -- even if the state demands it."
    -- Albert Einstein

dragon1964m,

From the nmap webpage....You'd get the same thing if ya read the handbook =)
    Code:
    No Warranty
    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License v2.0 for more details at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html, or in the COPYING file included with Nmap.

It should also be noted that Nmap has occasionally been known to crash poorly written applications, TCP/IP stacks, and even operating systems. While this is extremely rare, it is important to keep in mind. Nmap should never be run against mission critical systems unless you are prepared to suffer downtime. We acknowledge here that Nmap may crash your systems or networks and we disclaim all liability for any damage or problems Nmap could cause.

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Darn wives just don't get it sometimes...and as a long-time married man, I say that with love to my wife Anyhow, the default nmap scan is fairly invasive as I recall. I suggest trying "nmap -PR [ip range]", which just does an ARP discovery. This ought to be pretty safe, and tell you what's on your LAN. From there, you can add other options to see which one(s) crash your router.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...