Thread: Install problem and external antenna question.

Just burned his ISO

Default Install problem and external antenna question.

Hello there, I'm new, interested in learning more about security, networking, and linux. Currently I'm having a little trouble with installing Backtrack 2.0 on an external flashdrive.

I first installed by manually copying over files from the live cd but after running into some trouble I just decided to do it the "easy way" and use the graphical installer. I essentially followed the pdf found on the documents page, excluding the making of the swap file(correct me if I'm wrong, but putting a swap file on your flash drive is like telling it to commit suicide). Anyways, now I get this error while booting up from the flash drive:

RAMDISK: couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0
    VFS: cannot open root device 802 or unknown-block (8, 2)
    Please append correct "root=" boot option
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(8, 2)
    <4>atkbd.c:spurious ACK on isa0060/serio0. Some program might be trying to access hardware directly
    It then proceeds to print the spurious ACK bit until I decide to restart. from the "root=" bit I'm guessing I was supposed to point to my root partition at some point, but I'm not exactly sure where. I am pretty much a complete n00b =(.

I searched some of what it printed on the forums, and found the spurious ack bit, but the only answers to other people with that problem was that the .iso was corrupted. I've checked the md5sum of the .iso I have and verified the cd I've written, so I don't think that's the problem. If anyone could even give me a push in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Second question:

I've had a dwl-g122 usb adapter for some time and I've finally decided I wanted to do something about the somewhat limited range. I've found a few examples of adding external antennas to other usb adapters and I think I've got where I'd need to solder figured out on mine. But, I've never done much in the realm of electronics. If anyone has any useful links, tips, or suggestions(even so much as somewhere to buy the supplies) on this I'd also greatly appreciate those.

Thanks if you've actually read my wall of text.

I have had hit and miss with kernel panic on usb installs using several different thumb drives. An alternative is here and has worked very well for what I use on a daily basis when I do not have a hdd module with me. I am sure someone else will come along in a while to further explain what I missed.

As for dwl-g122 the only site I have stumbled across with any sort of pictures/info was here.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you very much, the dwl-g122 info was very helpful.

I may just try reinstalling bt on the flash drive again, but that's starting to get tiring after repeated attempts with the same problem. Just to clarify, as I didn't before, I have a 4 gig flash drive and am going for a full install.

For your install problems, depending on what you want, try either of these.

The first is foolproof and the second will require a little more work.

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...7171#post27171

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=6900

This is probably a better link for the first one I posted earlier

http://backtrack.offensive-security....k_from_windows

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the links, balding_parrot, I appreciate it.
    I actually have a live install on a 1 gig stick that works fine. However, where I'm having problems is getting a full install to work on my 4 gig stick. I was hoping to get it to work since I'm not really putting the larger stick to any use I couldn't use other means for, and a full install seems to have advantages.