Thread: Unable to change resolution - BT5 x64 GNOME

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Unable to change resolution - BT5 x64 GNOME

Hello all,

I'm not a pro with linux... and i can't figure out how to change the screen resolution on Backtrack 5 x64 with gnome...

First I tried to use the "Monitor" entry on Admin menu, which only display me 2 very low res (800x600 and lower)..
    Then i tried to edit the config file with "pico /usr/share/xresprobe/xorg.conf", all resolutions are set to 1024x768 in this file, which seems NOT to be my actual resolution (which seems to be 800x600). Changing these resolutions have no effect.

Then i tried to use ubuntu's "hardware drivers" app, which i get using apt-get install jockey-gtk. There I see that i miss Nvidia drivers, but i'm unable to install it, at the very end of the installation, there's a popup "installArchives() failed". However, after this, when I try to start Admin menu->Monitors, there's a popup saying that I can use the manufacturer's app (nvidia's), so it seems that something was installed. BUT (I know...), nvidia's app say me that a config file is missing. I asked google, the solution is to run something like "nividia-xconfig", but this command doesn't exist on my backtrack yet...

I tried numerous reboots, apt-get update/upgrade.

Is there a standard good procedure ? The most suprising is that when i run Backtrack live from Usb key, the resolution is okay, but when I install it to harddrive, I'm stuck to 800x600..

Thank you very much for your help!

Just burned his ISO geekinthepink's Avatar

Default Re: Unable to change resolution - BT5 x64 GNOME

Quote Originally Posted by lbarman View Post
    Hello all,

I'm not a pro with linux... and i can't figure out how to change the screen resolution on Backtrack 5 x64 with gnome...

First I tried to use the "Monitor" entry on Admin menu, which only display me 2 very low res (800x600 and lower)..
    Then i tried to edit the config file with "pico /usr/share/xresprobe/xorg.conf", all resolutions are set to 1024x768 in this file, which seems NOT to be my actual resolution (which seems to be 800x600). Changing these resolutions have no effect.

Then i tried to use ubuntu's "hardware drivers" app, which i get using apt-get install jockey-gtk. There I see that i miss Nvidia drivers, but i'm unable to install it, at the very end of the installation, there's a popup "installArchives() failed". However, after this, when I try to start Admin menu->Monitors, there's a popup saying that I can use the manufacturer's app (nvidia's), so it seems that something was installed. BUT (I know...), nvidia's app say me that a config file is missing. I asked google, the solution is to run something like "nividia-xconfig", but this command doesn't exist on my backtrack yet...

Is there a standard good procedure ? The most suprising is that when i run Backtrack live from Usb key, the resolution is okay, but when I install it to harddrive, I'm stuck to 800x600..

wow that's sad i had this problem too but im using virtualbox you should do the same

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by geekinthepink View Post
    wow that's sad i had this problem too but im using virtualbox you should do the same

Well i am using virtualbox and have the same problem.. do u know how to fix?

Just burned their ISO

Smile Re: Unable to change resolution - BT5 x64 GNOME

Quote Originally Posted by lbarman View Post
    Hello all,

Just go into terminal n type xrandr -s 1366x768 or watever resolution u want. That'll do.

Just burned his ISO

I have had this same problem for a while In Backtrack 5r3 running VMware player.

"vi /usr/share/xresprobe/xorg.conf"

Changing any of the resolutions here does nothing.

"xrandr -s 1366x768"

This will change the resolution, but after a reboot the resolution will reset back to 800x600.

I have installed VMware tools, and I made sure to change the drive letter and even remove the ISO from my computer entirely to make sure its not booting form a live CD.

Does it have to do with my graphics card/driver?

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 in a Lenovo X230.

I am using VMware, did i not set up my virtual machine correctly?

Can anyone please answer this? I have seen many people post about this, none of which are resolved.
    Last edited by Daveneedlinux; 11-09-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Just burned their ISO

Default AW: Unable to change resolution - BT5 x64 GNOME