Thread: Installation and Partition Trouble

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Installation and Partition Trouble

I recently installed Backtrack 5 to my hard drive alongside Xubuntu 11.04. Towards the end of the installation, the progress bar hung at 99% for awhile, as I expected, then a I/O Error (Error 5) popped up. I rebooted my computer, and it booted straight into Xubuntu, without first going to a grub menu. I did a md5 check, and found out that my Backtrack ISO was (apparently) corrupt.

Unfortunately, the incomplete installation left me with 67 gb partitioned on my drive for Backtrack at /dev/sda7. All the Backtrack files seem to be in root, and after fixing grub, I can start to boot into Backtrack. But then I recieve the message, "ALERT! /dev/disk/by uuid/1c8323a7-c6e3-4e8a-b409-96a09257d185 does not exist! Dropping to a shell!" and the installation drops to Busybox.

I assume it's a long shot, especcially since the ISO seems to be corrupt, but is there any way I can fix Backtrack? I'd like to try a full reinstallation, but I can't install over the current bad installation of Backtrack, and I don't want to further partition my drive.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank you!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Installation and Partition Trouble

So format the partition, download a good copy of the BT iso, by checking the md5sum after download and proceed.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Sorry, I was thinking there might be some way for me to access my original installation, since all the root files seemed to be present. I'm kind of nervous with working with partitions (I've lost data that way before.), so I was going to wait until I had tried other possibilities before choosing the"Manually Partition" option and reformating. I'll download the ISO again and research some more on installing Backtrack using the manual partition option. Thanks!

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    So format the partition, download a good copy of the BT iso, by checking the md5sum after download and proceed.
    Its a known bug.. why would you tell someone to wipe their drive and start over as a first idea???? I breathe, can I be a super moderator too?

Blowing away a drive and starting over is quite a cop-out dont you think?

This same thing happened to me... after a kernel upgrade..... Why not find the root of the issue rather than having the community format their drive?

Ok, to fix the problem, edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg and remove the UUID= and change back to the /dev/whatever your dev is.

Saved you a format..... Do I get to be a supermod now lol
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 09-15-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I did a md5 check, and found out that my Backtrack ISO was (apparently) corrupt.
    1. The OP plainly stated that he his MD5sum did not match (after having done an install) it does him no good to follow through with your ideas.
    2. Having agreed to read the rules you noted that all members are required to follow them, after all you did agree to them, as part of your membership here.
    Having said that, that means you deliberately multi-posted in this thread. Further you also missed the part (in the rules) about derogatory behavior, which we do not tolerate.
    So thanks for playing.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.