Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: If you're a Linux noob, read this thread

Just burned his ISO

Is there a substitute for netstat that would display connections live (in real time).
    To clear any missunderstandings: Netstat outputs the current state, but I want a tool, that will be displaying the current connection....
    For example like the tool "top".

Just burned his ISO

Default hello

Yes,I am a noobie to forums and alittle new to BT.I do thank, and will continue to thank all who made all of this possible.i might ask dumb questions,so please try not to rip me up about it.for the most part,i will try to find anwsers my self before i bother any members.
    thanks guys,
    your friend , prokiller

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy

Hi there!

First of all, I'm a complete noob to BackTrack and almost complete noob to Linux (before BackTrack I used only a few live distributions and some years back I tried to use the Mandrake 10.0 distribution, but I got stuck on installing nVidia drivers =) )...

I installed the BackTrack 4 pre-final to my Vista notebook and selected various packages to download and install by the included tool... After successful downloading and almost successful installing them (with maybe two errors which I didn't note, ignored and forgot), I tried to open the OpenOffice.org Writer, which worked, but without graphics and looked weird. Another newly installed program is AmaroK, which worked just fine =)

After restarting, startx command started to start to Gnome instead of KDE (I really don't know how this got to my computer, i didn't check it for download, maybe it was bundled with something...) and I really don't know how to get the KDE back.

The thing is not that I don't like the Gnome - maybe it's a bit nicer than the KDE - but in the KDE was the menu with BackTrack apps and some apps in unusual place and it's not there in the Gnome menu. So, I can't even reach the START NETWORK link, so I can't get to the Internet depository of packages to remove or replace (?) the right ones. And also in KDE was sound OK and in Gnome there's no sound device...

I don't want to completely delete and reinstall this system, because I have a really bad Internet connection - it's limited to 6 GB per month (then I pay for every single MB =/ ) and yesterday I downloaded about 1,5 - 2 GB of packages to install there...

Would you kindly advise me how to:
    1) get back to the KDE (any command line option for startx or something? startx -kde ends with error, I don't know if it really works like that),

or

2) import KDE settings (menu is enough) to the Gnome in the proper, long-time usable way

or

3) extract downloaded packages for later use in reinstalled BackTrack?

Thanks in advance for any kind responses, I know it's always funny to read lame posts like this, but I can't help myself by now... Maybe I just googled wrong, but I didn't any find solution to this problem...

Quote Originally Posted by hell.shadow.coderz View Post
    Thank u all 4 providin the useful links..

Yer same here. Ive got a lot of usefull stuff off this forum. Hope I can give some back in future.

I been using Linux (Multiple Distros) Since beginning of 2007 but compared to some of the guys who have posted stuff on here i still consider myself a Noob.

Cheers.

Just burned his ISO

Hello every one im new to alot of things here but im here to learn about security because i find there is a market for this type of stuff and i sick of getting attacked and the rest i want control , now i used to program in DOS and DDOS back in the 80s but now i find my self at this point again in my life where ive got to run the family network , i want it secure as well as having a life so im here to learn from you guys . I dont run wireless at all there are 3 machines in the home and i want to protect them .

ive got a duel boot system windows and ubuntu also got backtrack on my vm , and learning alot got the new kernal installed no problem and every thing . So any help is very welcome .

Thanks again to helping a newbie to understand .

I consider myself new in linux, so this thread will be a good start ...........
    Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Hello, I am a newbie for using BT... have some queries to be clarified as i have to work on wireless intrusion generation and detection.. so.. need all the help i can get on those lines..

Just burned his ISO

This may seem like a pretty obvious question to those of you with solid Linux experience however the same can't be said for me however am I right in saying that it's Ubuntu books I should be reading to pick up on the general operation of BT4?

Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    Is there a substitute for netstat that would display connections live (in real time).
    To clear any missunderstandings: Netstat outputs the current state, but I want a tool, that will be displaying the current connection....
    For example like the tool "top".
    if i understand you correctly, you are looking for nettop which can be built from source locate here: (sorry for weird url, i'm not allowed to post links yet)

http :// ostatic .com/ nettop -->remove the spaces and paste in broswer bar

Just burned his ISO

hey everyone im new on this forum and i think i know something about IT and now i think i don't know anything at all about IT.anyway i downloaded the BT4 PreFinal and try to work with them oh let's me start with begin i try to crack Aircrack so someone tell me i have used the BT3 so i searched and find this and now after i used live dvd i stare on monitor and i dont have any clue at all for type something,btw i come to this topic and some of u said for learn work with this OS u will be learn Linux first so all i want to know i will be strat from which version Of linux?
    and if u tell me one good learning book for that i really appriciated.
    is so embaresed i have MCSE/MCTS and i dont have any knowledg about Linux at all.
    i waiting for ur answer guys

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122