Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: If you're a Linux noob, read this thread

Just burned his ISO

Default Login probs....

Hello Peeps, im very new to linux - i decided to start learning my self after getting board with windows. I have currently got BT3 installed on Vm and have run into a problem creating a new user. I can add a new user from the terminal using the /adduser command and the switch user using the /su command, but wen it comes to logging in it brings up an error. Is this problen caused by running BT3 in VMware? if not is there a solution? Many thnx

Quote Originally Posted by cl34rp5y7 View Post
    Hello Peeps, im very new to linux - i decided to start learning my self after getting board with windows. I have currently got BT3 installed on Vm and have run into a problem creating a new user. I can add a new user from the terminal using the /adduser command and the switch user using the /su command, but wen it comes to logging in it brings up an error. Is this problen caused by running BT3 in VMware? if not is there a solution? Many thnx
    why do you need to make a user? you'll need root for most of the stuff you do on backtrack anyway...
    just curious.

Just burned his ISO

Default If you're a Linux noob, read this thread Reply to Thread

Good morning folks,

In the last few weeks the mods have been pretty busy with work, mostly people being rude to one another, and an increase in spam. Some of the older members are just as guilty as the newbs. We also see an increase in people trying to do the moderators' jobs for us. We ask you to do one thing: when you see a questionable post, report it. We will get to the bottom of it.

As the release of BT4 Beta approaches (and don't ask, I don't know when that will be), there will be another spike in traffic to the forums. This can be a good thing as we bring more people into the community. These new people will eventually make some great contributions. I don't want to turn them off with unnecessary bickering and fighting.

Take a moment before you write a post and think about how someone might react to it. If you're just fanning the flames, you might want to reconsider. As we approach this new Beta release, we the other moderators ask for a return to civility on the forums. Believe me, we'll all be better for it.

Just burned his ISO

Default New Member!

Hi Guys,

Some really interesting stuff on here, so I thought I would sign up! I have a little Linux experience with networking, apache and basic config. Now looking at some penetration testing with bluetooth, so please bare with me if I have some noobie questions.

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Hello All,

Not only am I a noob to these forums, but linux as well. I have much reading to do obviously, but there is only one question I have at the moment. For my first Backtrack experience should i stick with bt4 live cd or install bt3 to hd? Others have recommended to noobs that they should start out with other linux distros, but i have infinite time on my hands and learning in this fashion would feel like an accomplishment to me. I welcome your wisdom.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by plTOC View Post
    Hello All,

Not only am I a noob to these forums, but linux as well. I have much reading to do obviously, but there is only one question I have at the moment. For my first Backtrack experience should i stick with bt4 live cd or install bt3 to hd? Others have recommended to noobs that they should start out with other linux distros, but i have infinite time on my hands and learning in this fashion would feel like an accomplishment to me. I welcome your wisdom.
    What's it like to be immortal? What really is the Quickening? Do you fear the Kurgan?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    What's it like to be immortal? What really is the Quickening? Do you fear the Kurgan?
    It doesn't suit everyone.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up There Can Be Only One.

I find it quite satisfying to say the least...haha
    Noob question:
    Is there any video tutorials on say slackware, or for that matter other Linux OS's that I could use to get familar with? I've been using Ubuntu 9 on my laptop for now. I love the site btw and to be honest had a major desire to learn Ethical Hacking, especially nowadays with the new cyberwar going on now. Anyways, nuff said, even though I've been using PC's for years still not a pro by any means, still a noob the way I see it. So no question is a dumb question. It's just a question someone else was to afraid to ask.

Just burned his ISO

Hello guys,

Anyone know how to use wifi card with vboxed bactrack?
    Have test every network mode...but stil iwconfig cant detect it..

thanks
    Ooops....got my answer below this thread... sorry mod

decksmasher

Default unistalling a programme

please can someone help me with this problem, i have tried apt-get purge --remove, but this still dosn't remove the programme it sais it cant read..E: The package avast4server needs to be reinstalled but I can't find an archive for it.E: Internal error opening cache (1). Please report.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast