Thread: Fake SMTP Server

Default Fake SMTP Server

Are there any tools that come preloaded on backtrack that can setup a dummy smtp server that will accept and record emails? So let's say there is a mail server on my LAN. Then let's say I use a MITM attack so the mail server would deliver mail to my computer instead of any other servers on the internet. I would want my computer to listen on port 25 and respond to the SMTP commands then record the content of the emails either in a database or in text files. I think this is somewhat common in the world of malware analysis.

I know tools like this exist and have found some on the internet but I can't find any preloaded on BT5. Please let me know if I'm just not looking hard enough!

Lightbulb Re: Fake SMTP Server

you can always do apt-get....most common pentest tools are in the repository, I'm sure with enuf searching you'd very likely find one...

http://quintanasoft.com/dumbster/#Download

-or-

USE this....
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env python
    """A noddy fake smtp server."""

import smtpd
    import asyncore

class FakeSMTPServer(smtpd.SMTPServer):
        """A Fake smtp server"""

def __init__(*args, **kwargs):
            print "Running fake smtp server on port 25"
            smtpd.SMTPServer.__init__(*args, **kwargs)

def process_message(*args, **kwargs):
            pass

if __name__ == "__main__":
        smtp_server = FakeSMTPServer(('localhost', 25), None)
        try:
            asyncore.loop()
        except KeyboardInterrupt:
            smtp_server.close()

chmod +x fake_smtp.py sudo ./fake_smtp.py
    sudo python -m smtpd -n -c DebuggingServer localhost:25
    To test this out we can use telnet like so: $ telnet localhost 25 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost.localdomain. Escape character is '^]'. 220 localhost6.localdomain6 Python SMTP proxy version 0.2 HELO localhost 250 localhost6.localdomain6 MAIL FROM: test@test.com 250 Ok RCPT TO: test@testing.com 250 Ok DATA 354 End data with . subject: Hello to: test@test.com This is my message . 250 Ok QUIT 221 Bye Connection closed by foreign host.
    Over on the terminal running the debugging server you should see the following: $ sudo python -m smtpd -n -c DebuggingServer localhost:25 [sudo] password for moo: ---------- MESSAGE FOLLOWS ---------- subject: Hello to: test@test.com This is my message ------------ END MESSAGE ------------
    No, I do not claim credit for this. I simply found it at:
    http://muffinresearch.co.uk/archives...r-with-python/

V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..
    Last edited by snafu777; 09-02-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Default Re: Fake SMTP Server

Thanks for that. I have found some solutions that work fine for me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a pre-loaded application that I could be taking advantage of.

Fast question on this, I want my windows machine (outlook) to connect to BT5 as my mail server. BT5 would log all sent emails from windows, so I can view them later. However neither machine would be connected to the internet, instead I should be able to send email messages to the windows machine using smtp commands (telnet whatever 25; HELO, RCPT, DATA, and so on). I tried setting up outlook to point to bt.foo.org (BT5) as the smtp.server, however, it keeps failing because it is trying to authenticate. Do I need to add the windows user to backtrack? or is there another way around this. Also I installed postfix on BT5, but because of the above issue, I am not so sure if it is working properly. If there is another way on doing this, please let me know.

The reason for this is for testing purpose.

Fast question on this, I want my windows machine (outlook) to connect to BT5 as my mail server. BT5 would log all sent emails from windows, so I can view them later. However neither machine would be connected to the internet, instead I should be able to send email messages to the windows machine using smtp commands (telnet whatever 25; HELO, RCPT, DATA, and so on). I tried setting up outlook to point to bt.foo.org (BT5) as the smtp.server, however, it keeps failing because it is trying to authenticate. Do I need to add the windows user to backtrack? or is there another way around this. Also I installed postfix on BT5, but because of the above issue, I am not so sure if it is working properly. If there is another way on doing this, please let me know.

I did try running the fake smtp script below on BT5, but because of the authentication issue, not so sure if it works

The reason for this is for testing purpose.