Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bypassing mac filters?

Just burned his ISO

Default bypassing mac filters?

Does anyone know how to bypass a mac filter without spoofing a client, like if there are no clients on the router?

Default Re: bypassing mac filters?

It depends on the AP firmware implementation , also in the WPA/WPA2 spoofing and replay attacks are fought with the binding of the keys to the mac addresses.
    Last edited by iliyapolak; 06-19-2011 at 07:09 AM.
    Scientia ac Labore

Just burned his ISO

Ok, Im testing on my old linksys router and just wanted to try and crack it currently without any protection, new to the whole thing so any help would be great, thanks! I can spoof but wanted to learn how tuo do it withot a client on, and I can't find a lot of info on how to do it.

I dont see how you could connect to an access point with mac-filtering, if you cant find a mac-address to spoof...

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Theoretically you could bruteforce it, however I have not had any luck with that option
    in mdk3, and realistically, its probably better to wait for one to connect ..

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TAPE View Post
    Theoretically you could bruteforce it, however I have not had any luck with that option
    TAPE is on the ball here, wait or ignore it.

There have also been flaws in routers in particular routers which may provide their own workarounds - what model is yours?
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

When WPA/WPA2 is used you cannot impersonate a client because of session tokens binding.
    Moreover spoofing can be prevented easily by simple state machine algorithm for example measuring preamble power of real client over specified time interval and comparing it with spoofed source.
    Last edited by iliyapolak; 06-23-2011 at 06:29 AM.
    Scientia ac Labore

Just burned his ISO

The router is a linksys WRT54G, and i don't have anyone one in the filter its just an empty list, so would bruteforce work?

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TAPE View Post
    This sounds like a job for SPIKE and wireshark!

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

When WPA/WPA2 is used you cannot impersonate a client because of session tokens binding.
    Moreover spoofing can be prevented easily by simple state machine algorithm for example measuring preamble power of real client over specified time interval and comparing it with spoofed source.
    Well I must be missing something then, I can spoof an approved MAC addy on a WPA2 network just fine,
    just set up a test router (Linksys WRT54G) with hidden SSID, WPA2 AES and no problems spoofing.
    (now connecting straight away with WICD.. thats a different story.. sjeesh.. gotta get back to cli)
    and your 'easy' spoofing prevention... doesnt sound so easy !
    perhaps you have a trial example you would care to share with us .. ?

The router is a linksys WRT54G, and i don't have anyone one in the filter its just an empty list, so would bruteforce work?
    If you have nothing in the filter.. then there is surely nothing to bruteforce ? All MAC addies should be able to connect ?

I had a go at it a while ago, forget which type of router I was using at the time, but you should read this
    thread for the response I got from the author of MDK3;
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...c-filters.html

Might have another shot with wireshark running to see what's going on exactly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast