Thread: Linux hacking

Hybrid View

Default Linux hacking

Hi all.

While I have in the past been focused on Windows exploitation (and a beginner with that) I find myself having to expand my horizons. In keeping in line with my training, I need to enumerate information on the machine (vm) that I want to attack. Unfortunately I have little ideas where to start. The book I have access to at the moment seems fixed on Windows enumeration, and google has not been much better. I see results on Linux NIC enumeration.

Steps taken so far:
    Scanned my network and found a "victim".
    Scanned the host and performed port, OS and version detection.
    "banner grabbing", connecting to the services with netcat.

at this point there is a gap in my knowledge. I know that eventually I will need to crack passwords and eventually gain access to the system, but I do know that if I want to gain access through one of the open services, I will need to enumerate the users and possibly other information on the machine. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or point me to some resources?
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Default Re: Linux hacking

Why don't you try a vulnerable linux machine to exploit, you can find some here: g0tmi1k: [Site News] Vulnerable by Design (Part 2)

Also if you want to research linux exploitation, sickn3ss has some paper's about that which you can find here: http://sickness.tor.hu/

Hope this can get you started.

www.exploitdb.com also has a variety of papers and exploit code written for Linux systems. Use the search (for platform) page.

Quote Originally Posted by Sys7emR00t View Post
    www.exploitdb.com also has a variety of papers and exploit code written for Linux systems. Use the search (for platform) page.
    Just a tiny correction, I think you mean http://www.exploit-db.com

Just burned his ISO

Default Respuesta: Linux hacking

dont say victim

Just burned his ISO

make your own hacking lab. you can create a small computer network using some computer or create virtual machine using vmware/virtualbox. Try to attack your own system to keep your nose safely.

Thank you all.

This is being done on a lab at home, on vm's, but they are pre-built, I have to learn how to exploit them. My initial issue was gaining access, none of the services were remotely exploitable, I had to run Hydra against the ftp service to gain user level access. (I was able to do this and gain all the non root account info, but I swear, I was lucky to happen to get those words in my lists. I looked at so many lists and was not able to find 1 with all three passwords, or the usernames. In this case, 1 username was in a dictionary included in the distro for another tool and I got the first PW. Then I cat'ed /etc/passwd to get the other user accounts. The second PW was in another dictionary, and I had to find a related dictionary to find the third. If anyone has a large dictionary of english words, please share.)

My current issue rates its own thread, i'll have that one shortly, thank you again.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."