Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Black Screen when starting up backtrack 5 with live cd

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default Black Screen when starting up backtrack 5 with live cd

    Recently i burned Backtrack 32 bit gnome on a live cd and when i insert the cd, restart my laptop and let everything load i just get a black screen a while after the startup mode selection, I even tried the 64 bit version and also didn't worked. I tried the live cd on my sister's laptop and worked perfect without any issue's.

    Computer information:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    HP Pavillion dv7 laptop
    Backtrack 5 GNOME 32 bit/64 bit tried both and didn't work

    Hope someone got a solution for this,
    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Black Screen when starting up backtrack 5 with live cd

    I am having the same problem. I downloaded BT5-32-KDE and performed the unetbootin load to USB drive. It appeared to get through the installation without issue. But it
    won't BOOT from it, I get a black screen with BOOT ERROR and nothing else.

    I tried booting from the LIVE CD and the laptop doesn't boot, skips through to the harddrive to load windows.



    I am new to trying to load Backtrack5. I am a proficient computer user though.

  3. #3
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Black Screen when starting up backtrack 5 with live cd

    If someone know a solution for this problem it would really help for lots of peoples. I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ShadowMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    /root
    Posts
    189

    Default Re: Black Screen when starting up backtrack 5 with live cd

    Quote Originally Posted by Pk3rPjer View Post
    Recently i burned Backtrack 32 bit gnome on a live cd and when i insert the cd, restart my laptop and let everything load i just get a black screen a while after the startup mode selection, I even tried the 64 bit version and also didn't worked. I tried the live cd on my sister's laptop and worked perfect without any issue's.

    Computer information:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    HP Pavillion dv7 laptop
    Backtrack 5 GNOME 32 bit/64 bit tried both and didn't work

    Hope someone got a solution for this,
    Thank you in advance.
    i got this problem too, but since i had tried this like sixteen times before i was just frustrated. so i waited a while then typed "startx" and it worked fine.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Black Screen when starting up backtrack 5 with live cd

    You need to tell your machine to boot from the cd it goes to hard drive boot because that is usually default before cd. Hit the ESC key on boot startup and then select your cd drive. Why you get boot error i can only geuss you didnt install to usb correctly
    Quote Originally Posted by varocketry View Post
    I am having the same problem. I downloaded BT5-32-KDE and performed the unetbootin load to USB drive. It appeared to get through the installation without issue. But it
    won't BOOT from it, I get a black screen with BOOT ERROR and nothing else.

    I tried booting from the LIVE CD and the laptop doesn't boot, skips through to the harddrive to load windows.



    I am new to trying to load Backtrack5. I am a proficient computer user though.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ShadowMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    /root
    Posts
    189

    Default Re: Black Screen when starting up backtrack 5 with live cd

    the boot error hes talking about isnt that. to get that boot error, it requires to be already past the HD boot from the bios. his error is invalid boot image, which happens for some reason from time to time. first try using live linux usb boot creator. just google it. then use it to install the BT5-KDE-32 image to the usb, then ignore the warning it gives you about gnome and kde. when you boot next if it gives you a black screen just wait, and type startx after a minute or two. there are some solutions already posted but these worked for me. and you dont need to get into the bios to change HD-USB boot, just go to the boot menu. btw, it is different for every computer, so escape wont work for everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by rizler View Post
    You need to tell your machine to boot from the cd it goes to hard drive boot because that is usually default before cd. Hit the ESC key on boot startup and then select your cd drive. Why you get boot error i can only geuss you didnt install to usb correctly

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-19-2013, 05:48 PM
  2. Backtrack black screen won't install and won't run live disk.
    By Bloodfire in forum BackTrack 5 Bugs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 01:08 AM
  3. Backtrack 3 usb black screen
    By nightpk in forum OLD Newbie Area
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 11:35 PM
  4. Black screen of death? on live cd
    By Fuzzypill0w in forum OLD Newbie Area
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 12:28 PM
  5. BackTrack 3 Live CD Black Screen (Out of Range)
    By twoR_x64 in forum OLD Newbie Area
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •