Thread: Black Screen when starting up backtrack 5 with live cd

Just burned his ISO

Default Black Screen when starting up backtrack 5 with live cd

Recently i burned Backtrack 32 bit gnome on a live cd and when i insert the cd, restart my laptop and let everything load i just get a black screen a while after the startup mode selection, I even tried the 64 bit version and also didn't worked. I tried the live cd on my sister's laptop and worked perfect without any issue's.

Computer information:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    HP Pavillion dv7 laptop
    Backtrack 5 GNOME 32 bit/64 bit tried both and didn't work

Hope someone got a solution for this,
    Thank you in advance.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Black Screen when starting up backtrack 5 with live cd

I am having the same problem. I downloaded BT5-32-KDE and performed the unetbootin load to USB drive. It appeared to get through the installation without issue. But it
    won't BOOT from it, I get a black screen with BOOT ERROR and nothing else.

I tried booting from the LIVE CD and the laptop doesn't boot, skips through to the harddrive to load windows.

I am new to trying to load Backtrack5. I am a proficient computer user though.

Just burned his ISO

If someone know a solution for this problem it would really help for lots of peoples. I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pk3rPjer View Post
    Recently i burned Backtrack 32 bit gnome on a live cd and when i insert the cd, restart my laptop and let everything load i just get a black screen a while after the startup mode selection, I even tried the 64 bit version and also didn't worked. I tried the live cd on my sister's laptop and worked perfect without any issue's.

Computer information:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    HP Pavillion dv7 laptop
    Backtrack 5 GNOME 32 bit/64 bit tried both and didn't work

Hope someone got a solution for this,
    Thank you in advance.
    i got this problem too, but since i had tried this like sixteen times before i was just frustrated. so i waited a while then typed "startx" and it worked fine.

You need to tell your machine to boot from the cd it goes to hard drive boot because that is usually default before cd. Hit the ESC key on boot startup and then select your cd drive. Why you get boot error i can only geuss you didnt install to usb correctly
    Quote Originally Posted by varocketry View Post
    I am having the same problem. I downloaded BT5-32-KDE and performed the unetbootin load to USB drive. It appeared to get through the installation without issue. But it
    won't BOOT from it, I get a black screen with BOOT ERROR and nothing else.

I tried booting from the LIVE CD and the laptop doesn't boot, skips through to the harddrive to load windows.

I am new to trying to load Backtrack5. I am a proficient computer user though.

the boot error hes talking about isnt that. to get that boot error, it requires to be already past the HD boot from the bios. his error is invalid boot image, which happens for some reason from time to time. first try using live linux usb boot creator. just google it. then use it to install the BT5-KDE-32 image to the usb, then ignore the warning it gives you about gnome and kde. when you boot next if it gives you a black screen just wait, and type startx after a minute or two. there are some solutions already posted but these worked for me. and you dont need to get into the bios to change HD-USB boot, just go to the boot menu. btw, it is different for every computer, so escape wont work for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by rizler View Post
    You need to tell your machine to boot from the cd it goes to hard drive boot because that is usually default before cd. Hit the ESC key on boot startup and then select your cd drive. Why you get boot error i can only geuss you didnt install to usb correctly