Thread: Java, Whats the deal with Firefox ???

Default Java, Whats the deal with Firefox ???

<RANT>

OK,
    Why is it with Linux, one needs to spend days, weeks, months getting everything working, if at all. Compile this, configure that.. Yikes. Dont worry Bill G. Not a threat yet
    Everyone disses Windows, but hey - everything works...
    </RANT>

Whey. That was a load off... Anyway.

One of the three main issues I am dealing with i Java Plugin for Firefox. I need to pentest a app that is Java using BT progz including Burp Pro, but I have yet to get Java working. Tired of booting Windows VM for everything that doesnt work in Linux.

Based on my searches, this is a common prob. I have tried 7 differents solutions from this forum and others and none work. I have 10.4, 64bit Gnome BT install. I have tried to get Java plugin working on UBU 11.x and other installs, but cant get it going. Has this been tweeked, yes.. but i have tried in generic installs as well.

Is there a solution that works like the flash fix from sickness post??? Thats what I need for Java Plugin. ANyone, Anyone??

What are the other two issues you ask. SD Card Reader and KeyBoard lights.. Shouldnt be this much work to get to work.... It should just work

I have BT 5, on ASUS G73 64Bit Gnome. I have tried all versions of Firefox to no avail.
    Just says not installed. Is this Backtrack related, no. But i need BT to test and firefox is a part of that. Also figured with the collective, someone has the answer for me..
    Last edited by furt1maggr3d10r; 07-07-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Default Re: Java, Whats the deal with Firefox ???

If you want something that "just works" then 64-bit Linux isn't for you.

I should have read the fine print....
    How can one defect from Windows with this much work?? Heck, I don't mind hard work, but I cant work if I cant work...

I'm sooo close, and have done and learned soo much since my first BT install , I hate to give up now.

Whats frustrating is with 10 posts and 10 solutions, you would think one would work. why soo many variables / options / verisons

You would think that having Java Work in a Web Browser would be something that was ipso-facto, default, standard affair....
    Dont think I'm asking for much here.. Just a functioning java browser.
    Forgive my type o's, as I type the cusor jumps around and changes the focus on me

cheers

what worked for me was downloading the 32 bit version from here ---> http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en and installing it by following the instructions on the same site. Even though you're using 64 bit linux, it's still a 32 bit browser.

Thanks, I thought the lastest 5.0 i am trying was 64bit released. Maybe I didnt pay attention.
    I will strip out and try again. Now I cant recall if was downloading 32 or 64bit Java.

Question to Mods though. With BT5 live or fresh install with appropriate versions, ect. I dont recall this working out of the box. Do we not think this is a valid need to be embedded into the build ? Clearly there are tons of posts on this so may be something.

Hopefully another try with the above will work..

Cheers

Man, I have hear that you should wait three months to a year, before you use new released!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by furt1maggr3d10r View Post
    Whats frustrating is with 10 posts and 10 solutions, you would think one would work. why soo many variables / options / verisons
    This is what is generally referred to in the *nix world as Freedom. Freedom to do things in different ways etc. Enough philosophy. Now as for something not working or not working in the way in which one would expect it to, we can't really help if someone doesn't bring it to our attention.
    Doing so means going to the redmine bug tracker and creating a detailed, and well documented ticket explaining the issue, and perhaps even a possible solution.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I was having this problem to and finally found a solution's for the whole java + Firefox plugin first you add the necessary repositories to the /etc/apt/sources.list file. So open that file up with your text editor and add the following line to the bottom of that file:
    deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner
    then in the terminal
    sudo apt-get update
    The installation command is:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts
    then you will have to read and agree after it finishes issue the command java -version
    restart Firefox and go to tools- add on and java should be in your plug ins
    I think I wrote this right, if not just let me know what I did wrong.

Just burned his ISO

this will bring you up to the 1.6.0.27 version of java at least.
    they changed some stuff in 1.6.0.29 and I haven't figured it out yet. the i386 folder that has libpnjp2.so is gone and the file now lives in amd64 or something.
    This is mostly ALL STOLEN from g0tm1lks how to install java. I just updated a couple of names and made it semi-automagical

just remember when firefox comes up, actually click on the java box and allow the script

I just used vi to make a text file named java
    chmod +x java
    ./java

had the below pasted into the text file
    killall -9 /opt/firefox/firefox-bin
    wget http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/downlo...BundleId=52240 -O /tmp/java.bin
    mkdir -p /opt/java && cd /opt/java
    chmod +x /tmp/java.bin && /tmp/java.bin
    update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/java/jre1.6.0_27/bin/java 1
    update-alternatives --set java /opt/java/jre1.6.0_27/bin/java
    mkdir -p /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
    ln -sf /opt/java/jre1.6.0_27/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
    export JAVA_HOME=”/opt/java/jre1.6.0_27/bin/java”
    firefox http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp