Thread: Unknow monitor problem

Just burned his ISO

Default Unknow monitor problem

Hi to everyone. I started using BT5 some time ago and I'm facing a problem, that I can't solve myself. I have backtrack installed on and old laptop with integrated video via/s3g unichrome igp. The problem is that in system>preferences>monitor is described as "unknown" and offers only one resolution 1600x1200@0.0 Hz that works, any other resolution results in vertical stripes and desync of picture. However with 1600x1200 I can see only top left corner of my monitor, which is really inconvinient.
    My xorf.conf says "Monitor - generic, device - generic", I deleted it following one of the advices on the internet and nothing changed. I tried adding new modes to xrandr, but they all return crtc error.
    What should I do? Maybe reinstalling the system would help?
    Thank you

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Unknow monitor problem

Quote Originally Posted by anconia View Post
    Hi to everyone. I started using BT5 some time ago and I'm facing a problem, that I can't solve myself. I have backtrack installed on and old laptop with integrated video via/s3g unichrome igp. The problem is that in system>preferences>monitor is described as "unknown" and offers only one resolution 1600x1200@0.0 Hz that works, any other resolution results in vertical stripes and desync of picture. However with 1600x1200 I can see only top left corner of my monitor, which is really inconvinient.
    My xorf.conf says "Monitor - generic, device - generic", I deleted it following one of the advices on the internet and nothing changed. I tried adding new modes to xrandr, but the all return crtc error.
    What should I do? Maybe reinstalling the system would help?
    Thank you
    I'm having similar issues, only my resolution is stuck at 800x600 at 61Hz. I'm using a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Dell 1977FTP Flat Pannel Monitor. I have tried making modifications to the /usr/share/xresprobe/xorg.conf file but it seems to be ignored?! Any advice would be great!

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Unknow monitor problem

still actual. please respond)