Image: BT5-KDE-64.iso

Hardware:
Alienware M14XR1
Core i7
8GB DDR 1600
nVidia 3.0GB GeForce GT555
Intel(R) WiFi Link 6205

BT5-KDE-64.iso

First unplug any external devices, keyboard, mouse, external drives, etc.

Using unetbootin build bootable USB drive with BT5. (Instructions can be found on the backtrack wiki)

Using F12 boot options boot off the USB drive into BT5 Live.

On boot you will see the default boot text and then the BT5 logo screen and then the diplay will probably go blank.

Dont worry about the blank display. Wait about 2 minuntes, then just blindly type "startx" and you should see activity on your USB drive. With in a few seconds you should see the BT5 loading screen, it will probaly go black and lock up your mouse pointer. If you didnt see the loading screen after typing "startx" and the mouse lock, then reboot and try again. I had to reboot mine about 5 times till it got there.

Also, keep in mind during this process that the USB port on the left side of your M14x ALWAYS has power when plugged into the AC adapter, even when shutdown. So you may have to remove your USB drive to see it again in the boot list after hitting F12.

Ok, so after the mouse pointer lock with the black background, you will need to blindly type this:

cd /root/.kde <ENTER>
find . -type f -iname "*.kcache" -delete <ENTER>
startx <ENTER>

You should now see the BT5 boot screen again and this time it shouldn't lockup and actually let you into Backtrack 5.

If you get a message saying: Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices? just check the "Do not ask again" box and click YES.

Run the "Install BackTrack" shortcut on the desktop to being installing BT5. Go through the installation process, accepting most of the defaults as you would for a normal installation. Hint: if your running Windows, just choose the option to run them side by side.

On the "Ready to Install" screen click the "Advanced..." button and choose your hard ddrive from the drop down list. Mine was /dev/sda "ATA STXXXX (750.2GB)

Click OK, then click Install, Restart Now after the installation has finish.
Note: you may have to physically power off if the reboot hangs. (remember to remove your USB drive)

After the reboot you should now see the GRUB2 bootloader with a few options. By default you want the top entry or just let it time out and it will pick it for you.

Once BT5 has booted you should be at the login screen. Use the default root/toor user/pass to login. Then type

cd /root/.kde <ENTER>
find . -type f -iname "*.kcache" -delete <ENTER>
startx <ENTER>

You should be able to boot into BT5, but you will notice that the screen resolution is stuck at crappy 1024x768 and you have no options to change it or even use the external video ports (VGA, HDMI, etc).

Sooo.... Lets fix that.

Connect to the internet, either through Cat5 or wireless (wicd network manager) (wont go into internet connection detail as you can find that info all over the forum)

Add the Xorg edgers repository to pull the latest intel graphics drivers.

Open a termnial konsole and type:

add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
apt-get update

After the update, close the terminal.

Then, back in xwindows, open Kpackit (Start>System>KPackit), click Software update (left column), click "Refresh", click "Select all updates" and click Apply, click continue if prompted.

There should have been around 100 or so updates in the list, so depending on your internet connection it can take about 15-10 minutes or so.

After all the updates have been downloaded, installed, and applied reboot your box (terminal cosole type: reboot)

When the GRUB boot screen pops up again hit the 'e' key and it should take you into edit mode which we can manipulate the grub boot settings.

The line to be concerned with here is the:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38 root=UUID=a6aa2dc1-4e48-4bec-86b3-d30dddae0d0b ro text splash nomodeset vga=791

change it to look like this at the end (pay no attention to the UUID):

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38 root=UUID=a6aa2dc1-4e48-4bec-86b3-d30dddae0d0b ro quiet splash i915.modeset=1 vga=791

you are just changing "text" to "quiet" and "nomodset" to "i915.modset.modeset=1"

then hit ctrl-x to boot

Wait for Backtrack to boot and you should now see the pretty blue logon window. Login using root/toor and see your new desktop resolution (1366x768). You will now noticed if you go to your display properties that you have access to your VGA and HDMI ports too. I have tried this with my VGA and it works pretty good.

If your display works for you, make the changes permanent by editing /etc/default/grub file with the changes above.

Change:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text splash nomodeset vga=791"
to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.modeset=1 vga=791"

Then at a terminal type:
update-grub

Reboot and you should now be able to keep your display.

Note: Some desktop effects in BT may crash while using the new intel drivers, this is normal as there really isnt a way to fully support he optimus video yet. Just click continue to the crash and BT will automagically disable desktop effects.

OK, so why go through all of this?? Well the reason is that with the new intel processors they use a Sandy Bridge chipset, which on the M14X, utilizes a combination video of Intel and nVidia. The problem is that there really arent any linux drivers out there that can combine the two cards to automatically swap between them. However, bumblebee is becoming very close to making this work. https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee
This project is trying to fix the issues with linux and optiums video. You are more than welcome to install it and test it on your box, but after days of trying to make this work it seems there is an issue with bumblebee and the kernel, even though the install completes and I can see the nvidia xserver, it never fixes my ability to use both cards or disable my nVidia. I have to give this guy credit as alot of other people have had success with his installation. If anyone makes this work on their M14X please let me know I would love to use it.

So there ya have it, BT5 on an M14XR1, I hope this helps somebody.