Thread: Switch user = system crash

Just burned his ISO

Default Switch user = system crash

I've been trying to setup a secondary user account with all the Backtrack defaults that come on root, but without privileges on an attack box running the Backtrack2 final distro. I've been stumbling around a lot as to what files I actually need to carry over, but the more serious problem is that after switching back and forth between root and the new user a couple times, usually anywhere between 4 and 10, I get a sudden system crash with no error message that requires a manual shutdown and all sorts of HD recovery afterwards because of the manual shutdown. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it; I've tried simply switching directly between them, logging all the way out of one and then logging into the other, ect. I haven't found any documentation of such a problem with Backtrack, and I've found relatively similar reports involving slax in general, but nothing that completely matches up. Is there any chance someone here could help me troubleshoot this? or do I really need to pursue it from a more generalized linux perspective?

Thanks for any input.

Most probably you have the situation like that:
    when you log in root you open root session
    when you next loggin user , still in memory is root data
    when you log root again it opens another root session
    so in memory you have , root(1), user(1), root (2)
    and finally after several tries the system is run out memory that causes it hang down.
    This happens when you simply switch the user,as KDE doesn't free the memory
    from the former sessions.
    So you have to log out from KDE to a nongraphic mode , then login the next user and 'startx' again.
    If it doesn't help the problem is more grave, and the easiest way is to reboot more often .

Just burned his ISO

That would make a lot of sense, although I'm pretty sure I've still had the problem when I switch back into the same session? If it is the case, it seems pretty lame that there's nothing I can easily do from an administrative standpoint as I hope to have it set up as a semi-public terminal, but I guess live-CD distros were never really intended for that sort of setup

Thanks

I had a similar problem with ubuntu 6.10 .The whole point was that the system didn't switch back to a former session but opened another one.
    Maybe you can try to run BT from different system using vmware or qemu ?

Just burned his ISO

Ah sorry, I was a little confused because I know you can semi-intentionally open different sessions of the same user and it's visible as root(1), root(2), ect.