Thread: BackTrack 5 GNOME on GRUB USB? [Persistent preferred]

Just burned his ISO

Default BackTrack 5 GNOME on GRUB USB? [Persistent preferred]

Hello, I am attempting to install BackTrack 5 GNOME x64 onto a USB key containing GRUB2. I would like to be able to use the USB key to load multiple distributions of Linux and other various tools, which is why I chose GNOME as the bootloader.

Because I want to be able to boot ISO files from GRUB and have one large USB key with a bunch of useful tools, including BackTrack, a UNetbootin burned ISO is not much use of mine. I do not have difficulties creating one. I am looking specifically for a way to be able to chainload to GRUB or use GRUB with BackTrack.

My current grub.cfg file is:

Code:
    set timeout=10
    set default=0

menuentry "Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop ISO 64-bit" {
     loopback loop /ubuntu1064.iso
     linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu1064.iso noeject noprompt splash --
     initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }

menuentry "Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop ISO 32-bit" {
     loopback loop /ubuntu1132.iso
     linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu1132.iso noeject noprompt splash --
    }

menuentry "BackTrack 5" {
     loopback loop /BT5-GNOME-64.iso
     linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/BT5-GNOME-64.iso noeject noprompt splash --
     initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.gz
    }

menuentry "Linux Mint 10 Gnome ISO" {
     loopback loop /linuxmint10.iso
     linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz iso-scan/filename=/linuxmint10.iso noeject noprompt splash --
    }

menuentry "DBAN ISO" {
     loopback loop /dban.iso
     linux (loop)/DBAN.BZI nuke="dwipe" iso-scan/filename=/dban.iso silent --
    } 

menuentry "Tinycore ISO" {
     loopback loop /tinycore.iso
     linux (loop)/boot/bzImage --
     initrd (loop)/boot/tinycore.gz
    }

menuentry "Memtest 86+" {
     linux16 /memtest86+.bin
    }

menuentry "Grub4dos"{
      linux /grub4dos/grub.exe
    }
    For convenience, here is the BackTrack 5 entry by itself:
    Code:
    menuentry "BackTrack 5" {
     loopback loop /BT5-GNOME-64.iso
     linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/BT5-GNOME-64.iso noeject noprompt splash --
     initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.gz
    }
    Unfortunately, upon boot, after sitting on the splash screen for several seconds (no text, just the BT5 background), I eventually get "(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system" and I get dropped into the Ubuntu minimilist shell. I would provide more information, however I do not know what information specifically to look for or is applicable here.

Is it possible to boot BackTrack 5 GNOME x64 in such a way? If not, what are my alternatives? I did notice this guide:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/...Persistent_USB

I attempted it, hoping I could chainload GRUB from syslinux somehow, however the USB drive does not boot (it simply black screens with a white blinking cursor and hangs the system). I did not get any error messages during the process, and a Linux OS recognizes the USB, it just will not boot (I have tested other USB boots on the system in question, including a UNetbootin of BackTrack which works fine).

Questions:

1) Is it possible to boot BackTrack directly from ISO from GRUB?
    2) If it is not possible, what are my alternatives? Am I able to have a (preferably persistent) installation of BackTrack be loaded by GRUB in a different fashion?
    3) I've considered using two partitions on my USB, one with BackTrack installed without a bootloader, the other the active boot partition with GRUB that has an entry for BackTrack. Is this possible, and a good alternative to using the ISO directly?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BackTrack 5 GNOME on GRUB USB? [Persistent preferred]

This is exactly where I'm stuck though with the 32-bit version and grub4dos. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know grub well enough to my liking, but a fair bit of searching has gotten me this far.

title BackTrack 5
    ls /Images/BT5-GNOME-32.iso
    find --set-root /Images/BT5-GNOME-32.iso
    map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /Images/BT5-GNOME-32.iso (0xff) || map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /Images/BT5-GNOME-32.iso (0xff)
    map --hook
    chainloader (0xff)

This was also close though it bypassed the menu:

title BT5
    find --set-root /Images/BT5-GNOME-32.iso
    map /Images/BT5-GNOME-32.iso (0xff)
    map --hook
    root (0xff)
    kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/BT5-GNOME-32.iso splash quiet --
    initrd /casper/initrd.gz

Hopefully this can be worked around somehow.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BackTrack 5 GNOME on GRUB USB? [Persistent preferred]

Hey,

The problem is that Casper is unable to locate the root file system image, i.e. the 'filesystem.squashfs' file. As a workaround I'd suggest you to:

1. unpack the '/casper' directory from the ISO image and copy it to your USB stick. It contains everything you need to boot the live OS.
    2. pass the path to the directory containing the '*.squashfs' file to the kernel during boot time, i.e. just add the 'live-media-path=/path/on/usb-stick/' parameter

And to illustrate this, here's how i managed to boot it up:

1. unpacked the '/casper' folder to my USB stick, under this path - /tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/ (it doesn't matter where you place it while you're using the same path in your GRUB config file)
    2. added the following entries to my GRUB2 config file:
      Code:
      submenu "BackTrack v.5R1 - i386 - KDE"{
      menuentry "BackTrack Text - Default Boot Text Mode" {
       set gfxpayload=1024x768x16
       linux /tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper live-media-path=/tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/casper/ text splash
       initrd /tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/casper/initrd.gz
      }
      menuentry "BackTrack Stealth - No Networking enabled" {
       linux /tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper live-media-path=/tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/casper/ text splash staticip
       initrd /tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/casper/initrds.gz
      }
      menuentry "BackTrack Forensics - No Drive or Swap Mount" {
       linux /tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper live-media-path=/tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/casper/ text splash
       initrd /tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/casper/initrdf.gz
      }
      menuentry "BackTrack noDRM - No DRM Drivers" {
       linux /tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper live-media-path=/tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/casper/ text splash nomodeset
      }
      menuentry "BackTrack Debug - Safe Mode" {
       linux /tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper live-media-path=/tools/BT5R1-KDE-32/casper/ text
      }
      }

And it works like a charm.

Note that I'm using GRUB2, but this shouldn't really make any difference in this context.

Hope this helps.