Thread: Overwrite Blank Windows Password... or Allow Blank Passwords for Windows Account

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Overwrite Blank Windows Password... or Allow Blank Passwords for Windows Account

Hi All. I've run into a problem trying to recover a lost password on my old Windows 2000 computer.

The first thing I did was blank the Administrator password using chntpw. However, I am not able to log in with the blank password. I believe this is because the account flag for "Passwd not req" is UNCHECKED, meaning a password is required. And therefore Windows will not let me log in with the blank password.

If I try to use option 2 of chntpw to set the password, it displays the error "Sorry, unable to edit since password seems blank already (thus no space for it)"

Does anyone know how to...

A) Override the blank password with a new non-blank password?

or

B) Set the account flag to allow log-in with a blank password?

or maybe another method?

I realize I could just recover the data and re-install Windows, however this server has a complex MTS based application installed, which is the reason I need into it. I'm afraid the repair install would also hose my MTS dev environment.

Best Regards,

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Overwrite Blank Windows Password... or Allow Blank Passwords for Windows Account

Try creating a new administrator instead
    google around for "create admin win vista backtrack", you'll find something out

Quote Originally Posted by pwninator View Post
    Hi All. I've run into a problem trying to recover a lost password on my old Windows 2000 computer.

The first thing I did was blank the Administrator password using chntpw. However, I am not able to log in with the blank password. I believe this is because the account flag for "Passwd not req" is UNCHECKED, meaning a password is required. And therefore Windows will not let me log in with the blank password.

If I try to use option 2 of chntpw to set the password, it displays the error "Sorry, unable to edit since password seems blank already (thus no space for it)"

Does anyone know how to...

A) Override the blank password with a new non-blank password?

or

B) Set the account flag to allow log-in with a blank password?

or maybe another method?

I realize I could just recover the data and re-install Windows, however this server has a complex MTS based application installed, which is the reason I need into it. I'm afraid the repair install would also hose my MTS dev environment.

Best Regards,

Default Re: Overwrite Blank Windows Password... or Allow Blank Passwords for Windows Account

Also make sure you unlock the account (in chntpw).

Try here: http://4sysops.com/archives/three-wa...dmin-password/ I've used a couple of those to get back into Windows 7 machines that had forgotten admin passwords.

Just burned his ISO

Get on the machine as a guest or lower lever user. Download Cain and Able. Dump the passwords...

Just burned his ISO

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

try this program

burn it to disc, boot from disc, select partition that OS is installed on, and press enter the rest of the way through

it can either delete the windows password (make it blank) or change it. the password changing function is a tad buggy so best if you just blank the password
    amazingly powerful program, its also works on windows 7 and xp,

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

this is my first post above and it appears that this forum doesn't let new users start new threads...
    I'm dying to ask this question, only reason i made this account, so I hope you don't mind if i hijack your thread for a bit

MOD EDIT: We do not like thread hijacking and we also do not support BT3 this is all covered in the faq which you should read. Along with following the rules you agreed to uphold as a member of our community.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 07-17-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Just burned his ISO

i'am using Windows XP and check if this trick works on Win2K

there is a SAM file in c:\Windows\System 32\config that contain windows password
    try to decrypt it with (say) john the ripper to get the password
    or
    you can simply replace it with SAM file in c:\Windows\repair and all of your user & password will be GONE (except administrator with blank password)

you can do it by boot using other OS (windows will lock that file)
    you can do it manually or try to download HIREN's Boot CD (it will help)