Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless Range

Quote Originally Posted by sergeikolomov View Post
    Giving specs for lower bitrates is legitimate, since the WiFi standard allows radios to make the tradeoff when necessary. I was accidentally being misleading when I said -96dBm @ 1Mbps is close to the noise floor (my mistake, not theirs).
    But isn't the 362 state of the art if cost is accounted for? Or is there any device for sale which can do better and doesn't cost thousands of dollars?
    When specs are given, the measurement criteria should also be given. What are the conditions that constitute their "sensitivity"? Is it a bit-error-rate (BER) of 5%, or a much more liberal 8, 9 or even 10% BER? That is the problem when comparing specs from different vendors when the conditions aren't properly spelled out.

Given the two models that you stated, the 362 definitely has much better sensitivity that the other model, provided that the test conditions were equal. They both represent pretty much the industry norm. A more sensitive board for this market would not make sense, given the intended use (normal in-home use) and would only meet a specific niche in the market, since the top three design criteria in this market is cost, cost and then cost.

Just burned his ISO

i just picked up the wireless signal booster that xploitz was talking about. it works great, however, you can't use injection with it, at least with the hardware I have. everytime i connected it to the card and started injection, it just starts going really slow almost to a halt, like 3 packets a second. this is with the hawking external usb device, which works great.

Quote Originally Posted by geedub View Post
    i just picked up the wireless signal booster that xploitz was talking about. it works great, however, you can't use injection with it, at least with the hardware I have. everytime i connected it to the card and started injection, it just starts going really slow almost to a halt, like 3 packets a second. this is with the hawking external usb device, which works great.
    Sorry to hear that. Perhaps your 2 close? Adding 500mW to your USB is good, but if your 2 close you'll likely produce malformed packets or at the very least "signal flooding" and interference. Try backing off a few yards.

I have no problems at all injecting or catching my handshake with it. I use it with my alfa 500mW making it a 1 Watter!!
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Just burned his ISO

it seemed as if it just got "out of sync" or something, I tried moving further from the AP. It could also be the hawking usb device that i have. either way i went and got my 71 dollars back today.

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

I got my 500mW amp and Directional antenna today from ebay Was $180 but makes a f-n difference or what Using net stumbler I can see gains of 20dBm without playing with the direction of the antenna.

But after doing my calculations, I realized that I was over double the law In the UK the limit is 20bB. My Netgear WG511T Card is @ 18dBm, the amp is running 26.99dBm give or take because I've modded he power to run from USB and it should be running on a 6v power supply. The antenna is at 12dBi, This give me 39.51dB of power well over the limit I wondered why they didn't sell em in the UK lol .

I can see why you're smiling

How far does your directional antenna reach with your new setup or is it still too early to say?
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

It's to early to say lonewolf, I've only just got it out of the pack. Done a quick job on the USB hack to test to. I'm off to my local electronics shop in a bit to grab a couple of connectors for ease switching between usb and mains power.

This is for my bluetooth packet sniffer to, but by the looks of it my bluetooth mod was unsuccessful Oh well back to the drawing board.

For anybody interested heres the pack I got from ebay. The guy is first class as the order came from hong kong and only took 5 days to the uk.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3in1-12dBi-WiF...2em118Q2el1247

Any update on this nice looking setup Dr Green?

Just ordered the Danets Antenna to go with my Alfa 500Mw

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_GrEeN View Post
    It's to early to say lonewolf, I've only just got it out of the pack. Done a quick job on the USB hack to test to. I'm off to my local electronics shop in a bit to grab a couple of connectors for ease switching between usb and mains power.

This is for my bluetooth packet sniffer to, but by the looks of it my bluetooth mod was unsuccessful Oh well back to the drawing board.

For anybody interested heres the pack I got from ebay. The guy is first class as the order came from hong kong and only took 5 days to the uk.
    Wow, what an awesome looking package. Very tempting indeed.. I have an Alfa on order so this would turn that into a monster.. lol.

Regarding the USB mod, was this easy to do? I'm not massively electronically skilled so that could be show stopper if it's tricky to achieve.

Okay, one last time.

Extra power on a single end is a waste of money (not to mention that it violates the law in many countries). Since 802.11 is a duplex system, both ends of the chain must have the extra power. As an analogy, say that you have two people 1000 yards (meters) apart that are trying to communicate with each other by shouting. This is very difficult at best, but with optimum conditions (very low signal-to-noise ratios), it might be accomplished at a low data rate. Now imagine that one of the parties decides that he is going to "amplifiy" his outgoing signal so that he can now be "heard", so he buys himself an electronic megaphone. Well, mission accomplished! His "signal" is now received loud and clear by the other party. But there is a problem. The other party's signal still is very weak, so the data rate doesn't change.

This means that you have to simultaneously (on a single end) increase both your received power and your transmitted power to have any increase in range. Back to my analogy, had the first person decided to use a large funnel type of megaphone (totally passive, thus bi-directional), he could shout in the funnel when he needed to talk and put his ear to the funnel when he wanted to listen - thus successful two way communications.

The only way to do this for 802.11, is to use an antenna with high gain, which means using a directional antenna - either some sort of dish, or a collinear.

So, if you really want to improve your range, spend all your money on a decent antenna.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast