Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
Okay, one last time.

Extra power on a single end is a waste of money (not to mention that it violates the law in many countries). Since 802.11 is a duplex system, both ends of the chain must have the extra power. As an analogy, say that you have two people 1000 yards (meters) apart that are trying to communicate with each other by shouting. This is very difficult at best, but with optimum conditions (very low signal-to-noise ratios), it might be accomplished at a low data rate. Now imagine that one of the parties decides that he is going to "amplifiy" his outgoing signal so that he can now be "heard", so he buys himself an electronic megaphone. Well, mission accomplished! His "signal" is now received loud and clear by the other party. But there is a problem. The other party's signal still is very weak, so the data rate doesn't change.

This means that you have to simultaneously (on a single end) increase both your received power and your transmitted power to have any increase in range. Back to my analogy, had the first person decided to use a large funnel type of megaphone (totally passive, thus bi-directional), he could shout in the funnel when he needed to talk and put his ear to the funnel when he wanted to listen - thus successful two way communications.

The only way to do this for 802.11, is to use an antenna with high gain, which means using a directional antenna - either some sort of dish, or a collinear.

So, if you really want to improve your range, spend all your money on a decent antenna.
Regarding this I've seen amps that claim to not only boost the output but also the receive.
I was thinking of getting an amp for my card (not my AP)
Is this possible as the signal being sent by the AP is still the same,

So I can shout louder but if I have a higher receive then I also have a top range hearing aid?.

Sorry to put it into lay-mans terms, but I hope oyu get the idea.