Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Get IP

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't Get IP

I'm using the wireless network manager under the internet tab in the applications menu. I have successfully cracked a WEP. However, when I try to connect I get passed the validating passphrase however I then get an error, Can't connect to IP. Like I said, I can crack the WEP key so I dont think it's a driver issue (I could be wrong, I am absolutely new to Nix). I'm dual booting with Ubuntu and can connect just fine to the same access point with the key.

Default Re: Can't Get IP

How close are you to the AP? Are you able to access the admin page?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by RawDawg View Post
    I'm using the wireless network manager under the internet tab in the applications menu. I have successfully cracked a WEP. However, when I try to connect I get passed the validating passphrase however I then get an error, Can't connect to IP. Like I said, I can crack the WEP key so I dont think it's a driver issue (I could be wrong, I am absolutely new to Nix). I'm dual booting with Ubuntu and can connect just fine to the same access point with the key.
    Are you running DHCP on your wireless network? Maybe you should try assigning yourself a static IP address to test connectivity.

Just burned his ISO

I'm close enough that I can access the router if I'm logged in on Ubuntu. However I'm unable to assign a dedicated IP because the router requires a person to be actively connected. It's a NETGEAR. I don't think that DHCP is running on my box. As I said, I'm quite new to linux. How do I do that?

I installed Linux due to a HD failure happening a few days ago in time with a move...and I can't find my Windows restore discs. Backtrack is a thing I'm playing around with because I'm actually going to college for Information Systems Security so it was kind of a blessing in disguise....especially because I'm quite liking Nix over Windows.

Just burned his ISO

well that router might have Mac filtering on it so it won't let you in...but that could be one of like 10 different issues

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

However I'm unable to assign a dedicated IP because the router requires a person to be actively connected. It's a NETGEAR. I don't think that DHCP is running on my box. As I said, I'm quite new to linux. How do I do that?
    If you don't know if your access point is running a DHCP server, then it very most likely is. (Otherwise you or somebody else would have had to manually input static IP information into every PC on the network, you'd remember that).

If there's an MS-Windows machine on the network, go to Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Wireless Network Connection, then right click, Properties, Internet Protocol Version 4,..... and check to see if there's static IP information there. If there's none, then it got its address through DHCP.

If there's no DHCP server on a network then you can use a tool like Wireshark to listen for packets and see what IP addresses are floating around the network. Alternatively you could use my own program Dynamo, this is one of the things it was specifically designed for:

http://virjacode.com/projects/dynamo

After you've figured out the IP addresses on the network, you can follow this tutorial to set up your own internet connection:

http://virjacode.com/tutorials/linux_inet_connect.html
    Last edited by Virchanza; 06-29-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

not sure what you mean by this!

I'm unable to assign a dedicated IP because the router requires a person to be actively connected.
    Is it the case that you can connect and use the network in Ubuntu, are you asking how to start DHCP?

/etc/init.d/networking start

will start networking inc DHCP to get a networking adress on the network you connect to

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by drakedeon View Post
    not sure what you mean by this!

Is it the case that you can connect and use the network in Ubuntu, are you asking how to start DHCP?

/etc/init.d/networking start

will start networking inc DHCP to get a networking adress on the network you connect to
    Basically what is wrong is I can't connect to any networks while in Backtrack. I can get on in my Ubuntu (dual booting) but I get an error in Backtrack "Can't get IP. something something."

Basically what is wrong is I can't connect to any networks while in Backtrack. I can get on in my Ubuntu (dual booting) but I get an error in Backtrack "Can't get IP. something something."
    You will get alot more help if you paste the actual error message here. Also I would recommend doing a little research on how DHCP and static IP addresses work. Based on your posts I'm not sure you really understand how it is supposed to work.

Just burned his ISO

I too am facing a similar issue. I have bt5 running through vmware; I am able to get on the internet via win7 host machine; but when I attemt to connect using netgear wg111v3, it tells me connection failed:unable to get ip address. attempts to give a static ip also fails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast