Thread: VirtualBox and Macchanger and AWUS036H USB

Just burned his ISO

Default VirtualBox and Macchanger and AWUS036H USB

Using BT5, VirtualBox and a ALFA AWUS036H via usb.

I'm having problems spoofing my MAC address with VirtualBox. When I issue the following commands, I see no activity with airodump, all else works fine when I don't change my MAC address.

ifconfig wlan0 down
    macchanger --mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 wlan0
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    airodump-ng mon0
    Another thing I noticed that the usb device icon goes (bottom right of the virtualbox window) from green to yellow.

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Arrow Re: VirtualBox and Macchanger and AWUS036H USB

Hi there, i got the same problem as yours. Airodump doesn't pick up anything. I search the web with no luck and even here no one answered you. Did you worked it out yourself by any chance? On top of what you noticed i found out that my usb alfa adapter doesn't pick up any networks anymore after i go out from cosole and check the networks with the manager. And yes even mine goes orange from green.
    I tried it yesterday with a live cd and worked perfectly, but not in virtual box.

Default Re: VirtualBox and Macchanger and AWUS036H USB

What happens if you try using macchanger -a wlan0 instead? In my case I found that using -a worked, but using -A would fail.

What u should do is generate a fake MAC address that u want to use with macchanger and then include that new fake MAC in your AP's inclusion list. This is for two reasons, the first is the obvious which is to stay connected; and the second is to successfully change the MAC address.

The OS thinks that the new MAC is genuine and doesn't compute well with WICD, so it will try to use the new interface and not just change the hardware address name.

So if u include a fake MAC XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX into the router's inclusion list, when u spoof the MAC address and choose to designate the address manually (using your pre-made MAC); the router will still allow the connection to go through.
    Hope this helped you.

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist...For the rest of us...Thank God for Backtrack!"

Just burned his ISO

I have no issues changing MAC, as for your virtual box, when you down your device it may disconnect then reconnect it and virtual box sees that as inactive device, trying using another Vm-Machine software, or try live boot.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by darcstar View Post
    What u should do is generate a fake MAC address that u want to use with macchanger and then include that new fake MAC in your AP's inclusion list. This is for two reasons, the first is the obvious which is to stay connected; and the second is to successfully change the MAC address.

The OS thinks that the new MAC is genuine and doesn't compute well with WICD, so it will try to use the new interface and not just change the hardware address name.

So if u include a fake MAC XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX into the router's inclusion list, when u spoof the MAC address and choose to designate the address manually (using your pre-made MAC); the router will still allow the connection to go through.
    Hope this helped you.

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist...For the rest of us...Thank God for Backtrack!"
    Hi darcstar,

I'm having the same problem that joelones, and i would like to try your solution, but i don't know how to do the fake mac inclusion to AP's inclusion list.
    Could you help me with a step-by-step?

Thanks and Marry Christmas