Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patch for injection 2.6.20 and other distro problems.

Just burned his ISO

Default Patch for injection 2.6.20 and other distro problems.

After using back|track as my base system for half year, I decided to migrate to gentoo. I compiled all base tools but neither kismet, neither aircrack worked at all.

Kismet fails on root with:
    Code:

Failed to set up UI server: TcpServer bind() failed: Cannot assign requested address
    Airodump doesn't capture anything on both ipw2100 and Senao 2511CD (hostap). Wireshark works ok after setting monitor mode and enable promisc.

aireplay -9 wlan0 <-(senao)
    and aireplay -9 -i eth1(centrino) wlan0
    both failed. But I think it caused by the same what caused blank airodump.

In aircrack svn I found patch only for kernel 2.6.18 while backtrack final has compiled in injection support for hostap in 2.6.20. Where can I found this patch?

I just want to make sure I'm reading your post correctly: you're moving from BT2 to Gentoo, and you are asking on the BT2 forum how to compile your tools to work with Gentoo? Shouldn't you be asking this on the Gentoo forums?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

It's remote-exploit forums, not back|track forums. Backtrack is system dedicated to pentesting. For normal work I need another sys, with nonroot account and something what can ease management of installed software(like gentoo portage) I didn't realize it up to now. I'm still using back|track as live cd, but I want also have basic tools on HDD in my current system. Is it a crime?

Quote Originally Posted by nusch View Post
    It's remote-exploit forums, not back|track forums. Backtrack is system dedicated to pentesting. For normal work I need another sys, with nonroot account and something what can ease management of installed software(like gentoo portage) I didn't realize it up to now. I'm still using back|track as live cd, but I want also have basic tools on HDD in my current system. Is it a crime?
    I never suggested it was a crime, only that it seems more likely to me that you'd have a better chance of getting answers there rather than here.

As you know, BT2 is a Slax-based distribution as opposed to Gentoo. Therefore, the users here are more likely to be familiar with Slax-based Linux as opposed to Gentoo-based Linux. I would expect that there are a fair amount of Gentoo users on the Gentoo forums that use Kismet, Airodump, and other pen-testing-related tools.

Just burned his ISO

OK. Let's say that I've just installed pure Slackware 10.2 and upgraded kernel to 2.6.20. Where can I find patch to hostap drivers?

OK. Let's say that I've just installed pure Slackware 10.2 and upgraded kernel to 2.6.20. Where can I find patch to hostap drivers?
    Aircrack-ng has a repository of patches here.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Aircrack-ng has a repository of patches here.
    As I written:
    In aircrack svn I found patch only for kernel 2.6.18 while backtrack final has compiled in injection support for hostap in 2.6.20. Where can I found this patch?

As I written:
    When I Googled "hostap 2.6.20 patch" I got about 10,000 hits. I'm guessing at least one of those will lead you in the right direction.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    When I Googled "hostap 2.6.20 patch" I got about 10,000 hits. I'm guessing at least one of those will lead you in the right direction.
    But, you don't understand, you're supposed to tell him which one is the right one.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

You should check your use flags for aircrack-ng.

[ebuild R ] net-wireless/aircrack-ng-0.9 USE="wifi"

echo "net-wireless/aircrack-ng wifi" >> etc/portage/package.use

emerge -av aircrack-ng

Without the wifi use flag, airodump won't work.

Your kismet problem sounds like a configuration issue. I'd look through my /etc/kistmet.conf file and read the docs.
    less /usr/share/doc/kismet-2007.01.1b/README.gz

I haven't patched the kernel for hostap injection. I've been using atheros based cards with gentoo. If you get an atheros card, make sure you
    ehco "net-wireless/madwifi-ng injection" >> /etc/portage/package.use
    for injection support.

You should be able to find the 2.6.20 hostap patch on google. Maybe you could post a kernel patching tutorial if you get it working.

Useful links for gentoo

http://www.gentoo-portage.com/net-wireless
    http://www.gentoo-portage.com/net-analyzer
    http://forums.gentoo.org/search.php
    Wireless Networking with gentoo
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page

Gentoo's a good distro for pentesting. I've used it on my workstation for several years. I used it on my older laptop for a year or so, but I've went back to slackware on that. It's much easier to emerge packages on gentoo than to build packages on slackware. You'll run into very few dependency problems with portage. The build times suck on older hardware, though, and I haven't noticed slackware being any slower on my laptop than gentoo. Either distro is an excellent choice.

You should checkout http://www.pentoo.ch/-PENTOO-.html
    It's dated but it might give you a few ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast