Thread: EULA restrictions for Commercial (Company) use of BT5???

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default EULA restrictions for Commercial (Company) use of BT5???

Background:
    I would like to add Backtrack 5 as a "tool" in my team's toolbelt, but have to determine if there are any EULA issues and provide details about possible backdoors, trojans, etc...

Details:
    This relates to Backtrack 5 - all versions (KDE, GNOME, 64bit, etc...)

Question(s):
    1. Are there any EULA issues that would preclude commercial use of BT5 on an enterprise environment, i.e. is it still free or does commercial use incur a cost?
    2. Is there any documentation available or anywhere I can go to determine whether BackTrack 5 is "safe," i.e. it doesn't have any backdoors, malware, trojans, etc... I know we can confirm the ISO using the MD5 hash and I am aware that some entity's in the US gov't use various versions of BackTrack, but other than that loose association, I was hoping for something more definitive.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Default Re: EULA restrictions for Commercial (Company) use of BT5???

As I understand it, you can use BT5 anywhere & everywhere, no strings or cost attached. Far as 2, I'll quote Ronald Reagan (and maybe divulge my age )..."trust but verify". No slight is intended against the developers, but I believe in testing everything that goes on my network.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: EULA restrictions for Commercial (Company) use of BT5???

While these are both very good questions, let me try and help answer them.
    1. EULA, there is no EULA that is specific to BackTrack Linux. BT is however made up of many open source tools that fall under various open source licenses.
    One of which is the GNU General Public License (GPL). There several others license types for the various applications contained in BT and we have included links to these licenses with each and every package we maintain. This same should apply to every package that comes from upstream.
    In addition there are several tools (again their licenses are marked in each package) that are considered non-free. Now this does not mean that they cost money, but that they may be restricted in various ways. One example would be the nessus tool. Another example would be windows based tools that we have included. We do not have the binaries for some of these.

2. Trojans, viruses, backdoor, etc. Obviously when downloading anything from the internet one must have a certain level of trust when it comes to said downloads. As such one of the great things about open source software is that anyone is free to look at the sources. Further as was mentioned above, there are md5sums that we provide for the base iso downloads. It is up to each user to accept a given level of trust to use BT. And honestly we (the dev team) have better things to do with our time then try and include malware and the like into BT.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 07-08-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.