Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Airodump-ng stops working after 2 minutes.

Default Re: Airodump-ng stops working after 2 minutes.

i'll try asap!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Earthnuker View Post
    i had the same issue with a differen wireless card and i fixed it by disabling power-saving using
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 power off
    no way...it doesn't work for my card:

root@bt:~# iwconfig wlan0 power off
    Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

Just burned his ISO

Just so you know, you're not the only one with this issue...

I'm right there with you. Almost exactly the same behavior on my end, symptom for symptom. About the only difference is that the "iwconfig wlan0 power off" worked, or at least, failed to produce an error. However, it also failed to produce results, so whatever.

The only success I've had at all is, after starting a fresh install of BT (inside VBox), runing apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get distupgrade;, I'll get my 120s of bliss.

twice I've done this, and twice I've declared victory... only to have it ripped from my grasp.

I've got some things I want to try, but I'm very limited in both bandwidth and hobby-time in my present situation, and want to make sure these haven't already been ruled out.

first, are you on BT5-Gnome-64? have you tried 32? I would IMAGINE that the difference between Gnome and KDE would be irrelevant, but have you tried it?

you're running virtualized, right? my setup is win7-x64, VBox 4.1.0, BT5-Gnome-64.

Also, not that I'm one for quitting... but do you happen to know where I can find a copy of the last BT4 isos? This is a hobby, but there are also a few very real practical things I need to use BT for occasionaly, and don't know that I can wait to figure this crap out :P.

aaaaaand.... what else...

the primary behaviour that I'm getting is either zero packets recieved at all, or less than 100 packets on mon0 (or wlan0 if I iwconfig wlan0 mode Monitor), before it dies on me. Usually it's zero packets however. There's another thread here, where, someone has reported good results from using a Y-USB cable (basically tap into the 5v line on another port to give the adapter access to more juice), so I'll probably see if I can't find a radio shack or something and give that a shot tomorrow.

let me know if you can think of anything else.

EDIT: I just tried 'bt4-r2.iso' i got off of a mirror I found on google (risky sure, but it's in a VM, so probably safe...) In any case... still didn't work. Looking at when it was added to the mirror (nov-2010), and knowing that, in March-2011 I downloaded the then-current build and had this working great, I'm going to try the then-current build of VBox. If it doesn't work, you may or may not hear from me, as I'll likely descend into madness.

Just burned his ISO

Default AW: Airodump-ng stops working after 2 minutes.

hello, maybe you should try to run:
    airmon-zc start wlan0

i have a similar problem with airmon-ng

1) no virtualization...run from hdd
    2) bt5 gnome 32 bit
    3) dunno where you can find it now try googling, i'm 101% sure you'll find it
    4) i'm using a pci card...so no usb adaptor required
    5) for me, bt4r2 works ok with airodump

tryed airmon-zc but for some reason it won't work (cannot remember why...maybe because it rely on some type of cards only)

I've no other things to try, i've also tryed within a live dvd,same problem.

I hope it'll be fixed in bt5r1 next week... :P

Small update...
    doing apt-get dist-upgrade didn't solve the problem (the distro-upgrade updates firmware and kernel...).

Just burned his ISO

Angry Re: Airodump-ng stops working after 2 minutes.

Mobile DualCore Intel Pentium T2130, 1866 MHz
    1920 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
    ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series (128 MB)
    TL-WN821N_v2

Crash random, some times couple of minutes some times10.
    Sometimes crash lock ups. Or boots to start screen.

Aircrack, Airmon, Airodump work exactly how they should till it crashes, so have to restart a few times to get end result.
    No idea what's causing it.
    I airmon-ng check kill all, which it does OK.

BT5RC1 gonme.
    Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.6.4
    8gb Corsair USB flash drive persistent change
    btw Image Verification sucks on here.

Just burned his ISO

I think this is a power issue. To be on the safe side use a Y USB cable, that is not to long and is shielded.

The reason I'm saying this is because the USB wifi adapter didn't work at all (not detected) with a 1 meter (3 feet) poor cable that was not shielded. Then I swapped the cable with a 3 meter (10 feet) FTP, that's shielded UTP (foiled twisted pairs), soldered them to the USB connectors using a pair for D- and D+, and a pair for power (you can use more pairs to increase length) and it worked, airodump-ng was reporting APs.

Then I added another 5 meter good quality, shielded USB cable (that's a total of 8 meters). And worked for the first time, then I was starting to experience exactly the problems you guys experience:
    -after successfully putting the card in monitor mode with airmon-ng or airmon-zc or iwconfig, airodump-ng was not reporting any APs
    -airodump-ng works for a while then stops

I'm not 100% sure, maybe is just a coincidence, but I think, if the wifi adapter doesn't have enough power during burst of transmission, it crashes. That's why probably disabling power management (power didn't fluctuate anymore) solved the problem for a guy on this thread. The reason the problem started to show up at 8 meters extension cord was probably because my wifi adapter is only 100mW (20dBm), compared to Alfa AWUS036H 500mW/1W (27dBm/30dBm).
    I had a similar power issue with a IDE 2.5" hdd mounted on a USB rack. I ended using external power (AC-DC 5V 1A adapter). If I was trying to power my hdd from USB all sorts of instability problems were showing up. I learned my lesson .. don't mess around with power.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re : Airodump-ng stops working after 2 minutes.

I'm new to this as well so I don't know all the knobs and switches.
    But I have a similar issue that could be power or even heat related.
    I have an Alfa AWUS036N with a meter long cheap cable, it worked mint the first time out of the box with injection, but since the second time it stops randomly while injection is active, the injection window still runs but the data count stops, the green led of the network adapter is now dead, I will loose all networks in airodump windows.

I will try to get one of those Y cable and report here

Just burned their ISO

I had the same problem... but only since VMware tools updated... I am running BT5r3 on Mac Air w VMware...fully updated with an Alfa AWUS051NH on wlan0 / mon0

on a previous post (http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ght=mon0+stops) Airwolf3000 mentions doing a re-install of vm tools.
    I followed that tutorial, and made some modifications, due to kernel changes...

SO, this is what i have done
    I re-installed vm tools, not changing the kernel prompt as Airwolf3000 did,
    at the default prompt for allowing automatic kernel updates [no], I allowed them and changed the answer to [yes]

I rebooted my system and checked the WICD manager to make sure it was not listing my card (wlan0).

as of this posting,
    I have been running airodump-ng -c2 mon0,
    airodump-ng -c2 (wpa handshake capture and write file to desktop),
    and periodically... aireplay-ng scripts...
    I am testing against my wireless verizon mi-fi card for work, and have not had a BT5 drop out for almost two hours now...

as of getting to my machine this morning, the card crashed at 2hours 40-odd minutes...

back to the drawing boards...
    Last edited by jscro; 11-27-2012 at 07:03 AM. Reason: update to post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123