Hi guys

I'm pretty new to this whole linux thing and the forums so apologies in advance if my questions seem stupid or aren't in the right place, I've checked the forum rules thou and think this is the right spot.

I'm sure I managed to figure out how to pipe JTR's output into aircrack for getting wpa2 keys with a brute force attack, typing something like

John single | aircrack-ng nameoffile*.cap -e macaddress

thats from memory and prob wrong but I'm sure you get the general idea of what I'm trying to do. Whenever I try and run john now though I get the following error message

fopen: john.ini: No such file or directory

I'm also pretty sure there are alternatives to John out there that might be better (crunch possibily?) so maybe using another program that comes as standard with BT5 might be an idea? any suggestions or pointers would be fantastic

also I'm having some problems using my wireless network usb device with BT5 here are the specs

T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=07 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 8 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=050d ProdID=815f Rev=02.00
S: Manufacturer=Manufacturer Realtek
S: Product=RTL8191S WLAN Adapter
S: SerialNumber=00e04c000001
C: #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 4 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=r8712u

When I try and run airodump-ng wlan1 thou I get the following error message

ioctl(SIOCSIWMODE) failed: Invalid argument

ARP linktype is set to 1 (Ethernet) - expected ARPHRD_IEEE80211,
ARPHRD_IEEE80211_FULL or ARPHRD_IEEE80211_PRISM instead. Make
sure RFMON is enabled: run 'airmon-ng start wlan1 <#>'
Sysfs injection support was not found either.

I have a sinking feeling that maybe its just not destined to be with my usb wireless device and that it might be worth investing in something new? any thoughts

hope I've stuck this all in the right place and made it all clear any clarification needed just drop me a message

thanks in advance