Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BT5-RC2 issues!

Default BT5-RC2 issues!

Hello all, After upgrading to RC2 my netbook can no long connect to the internet using my pci wireless driver. (Atheros AR9285) I can only use my usb awus051NH. Is anyone else have a problem like this?

Default Re: BT5-RC2 issues!

I am also having issues with the new release as the latest kernel hangs the system even when I'm on the console with no X running, but wireless seems working, when I tried booting on the previous kernel my internal broadcom card is recognized but seems to not detect any network.
    It's time to free yer Mind; It's time to cleanse yer Soul

Just burned his ISO

Cool Re: BT5-RC2 issues!

Quote Originally Posted by melissabubble View Post
    Hello all, After upgrading to RC2 my netbook can no long connect to the internet using my pci wireless driver. (Atheros AR9285) I can only use my usb awus051NH. Is anyone else have a problem like this?
    I just got my wireless to work after days of trying to figure out the issue. I'm running an HP DV2740SE with a Broadcom card, which is suppose to be supported in the new kernel. However, it was blocked. After reading posts all over, and getting some ideas, I finally just tried a few things on my own. Turns out, in Backtrack 5, a few types of wifi cards are soft blocked. Here's how to unblock them.

# rfkill list (look at mine for example only on the next line so you know what to identify.)
    0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: yes
    Hard blocked: no
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: yes
    (Type the following to unblock)
    # rfkill unblock 0
    # rfkill unblock 1
    # rfkill list (just to check)
    0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    (Now log out and log back in, and check Wicd Network Manager to see if the problem was fixed)
    If "rfkill" doesn't list anything, try manually starting Wicd by typing
    #/etc/init.d/wicd start
    (after doing so, repeat the steps above)

I'm going to use this thread to address the issues I've found. It's cleaner than creating a new thread for every issue. I hope you don't mind, melissabubble.

After upgrading from BT5R1, the splash screen disappeared, as expected. But now, instead of seeing the BT5 wallpaper while booting, I see "Ubuntu 10.04" screen. Running "fix-splash" changes nothing, the rest of the boot process is always on a CLI like interface (without the backtrack frame wrapping). Not a big problem, as far as I'm noticing the OS remains functional, and that's what matters most.

Another issue is, after booting, on the login screen, the system keeps dumping a message telling:
    Code:
    [xx.xxxxxx] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    [xx.xxxxxx] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready
    [xx.xxxxxx] 8139too 0000:01:01.0: eth0: link down
    And it dumps those 3 lines for a while.
    Eth0 is my ethernet adapter and eth1 is my internal wireless adapter, both are working fine.
    As far as my testing goes, I only found this small glitches. Since functionality remains ok, I don't really mind them. Either way, I'll wait for 1st March to do a clean install and check if this issues remain.

EDIT: I still have to edit my grub.cfg file in order to be able to start the graphical environment (add i915.modeset=1).
    Last edited by Snayler; 02-26-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Its not a problem Snayler. I have notice that since the upgrade that my standard dbm's setting per channel has changed to 15dbm's on all channels. The old kernel only would allow between 9-17 on certain channels power management on, say (channel 1-2 13dbm, channel 3-9 9dbm, channel 10-12 17dbm, and channel 13-14 disabled). Now that its 15dbm on all channels my signal is really high, too high for just 15dbms to be pulling in and it doesn't seem to change if I change the txpower to something lower like 9 or 13dbm's. I'm guess thats the reason on wicd it doesn't obtain an ip address. Any suggestions to point me in the right direction would sure be appreciated. But I too still might just wait until the official release as well.
    Last edited by melissabubble; 02-26-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    EDIT: I still have to edit my grub.cfg file in order to be able to start the graphical environment (add i915.modeset=1).
    I also have the graphical issue after the upgrade, except the i915.modeset=1 in grub doesn't fix it anymore (it worked in BT5, R1 worked right away though). I get an X window, but it's in 1024x768 instead of 1366x768. Editing xorg.conf doesn't work either.

I also lost the ability to use my F-Keys to change the brightness. These worked in BT5-R1 and means a lot to me so I'm not being blinded by my screen.
    Last edited by Reamer; 02-29-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: BT5-R1 grub didn't need editing

I think the brightness keys will return once you sort the modesetting (did for me anyway). Sorry can't help anymore than that - just wanted wanted to reassure you you only have one problem, not two

Quote Originally Posted by VulpiArgenti View Post
    I think the brightness keys will return once you sort the modesetting (did for me anyway). Sorry can't help anymore than that - just wanted wanted to reassure you you only have one problem, not two
    Ha, thanks for the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm probably not going to touch it until the official release and I'll do a fresh install. I think in my hasty attempt to upgrade I butchered some steps and I don't want to lose my 2.6.39 kernel with an apt-get autoremove command before then and be trying to get all of that back in the meantime.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
    Ha, thanks for the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm probably not going to touch it until the official release and I'll do a fresh install. I think in my hasty attempt to upgrade I butchered some steps and I don't want to lose my 2.6.39 kernel with an apt-get autoremove command before then and be trying to get all of that back in the meantime.
    My F-keys work except for the screen dimming. You can solve the screen brightness problem by using "f.lux". http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Just burned his ISO

That 3.2.6 kernel update is not compatible with nvidia driver (the .bin file downloaded from nvidia website).
    It worked in BT5 and BT5R1 (executing that .bin file with the --kernel-source-path parameter), but that doesn't work
    with the 3.2.6 kernel / BT5R2! So I cannot enter into startx anymore. (32bit, KDE). I tried a workaround, to put
    the --add-this-kernel parameter, but that didn't work either.
    Could someone please fix that bug ASAP? Thanks!
    Last edited by softize; 02-28-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast