Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please clarify this instruction in the persistent usb install how-to

Hybrid View

Default please clarify this instruction in the persistent usb install how-to

~~~~~~~~~
    Copy the files from the iso to the USB drive
    cd /mnt/sdb1
    rsync -r /cdrom/* .
    ~~~~~~~~~

Rsync copies from source to destination
    source = /cdrom/*
    what is destination?( i know it's supposed to be the usb but i dont understand how a single period refers to it)

Since i have the 32 bit gnome iso sitting on my hard drive, do i have to burn to a cdrom to use the above command? can i not extract the contents of the iso to a folder and just use THAT as the source?
    for example, /root/tmp/bt5gnome/*

Default Re: please clarify this instruction in the persistent usb install how-to

from the code you have listed there you are copying the cdrom files /cdrom/* meaning all to . which is the current directory that you changed to (mnt/sdb1) in your case

Default Re: please clarify this instruction in the persistent usb install how-to

Have u tried this

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

has Persistent mode capability too. There was another but ii cannot remember name.

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    Since i have the 32 bit gnome iso sitting on my hard drive, do i have to burn to a cdrom to use the above command? can i not extract the contents of the iso to a folder and just use THAT as the source?
    for example, /root/tmp/bt5gnome/*
    so do i need to waste a dvd and burn bt5?
    is quoting myself narcisstic?

Just burned his ISO

I did exactly what the instructions say (except i used sdc1 in all instances of sdb1 because i have a windows partition taking up sdb). I did everything from the BT5-Gnome-32 Live DVD (md5sum is correct).

The problem I have is when trying to boot the USB alone, I get "Boot Error" before loading the grub menu. However, when I also have the DVD inserted, it loads completely, using /dev/sdc1 (not my DVD). I know this because I have both my casper-rw folder mounted and a BT5 DVD mounted. I check /cdrom, and my /dev/sdc1 is mounted to it automatically.

Am I missing something, or do I really need the DVD and USB inserted together in order for persistence to work?

Quote Originally Posted by hylogibbon View Post
    I did exactly what the instructions say (except i used sdc1 in all instances of sdb1 because i have a windows partition taking up sdb). I did everything from the BT5-Gnome-32 Live DVD (md5sum is correct).

The problem I have is when trying to boot the USB alone, I get "Boot Error" before loading the grub menu. However, when I also have the DVD inserted, it loads completely, using /dev/sdc1 (not my DVD). I know this because I have both my casper-rw folder mounted and a BT5 DVD mounted. I check /cdrom, and my /dev/sdc1 is mounted to it automatically.

Am I missing something, or do I really need the DVD and USB inserted together in order for persistence to work?
    @hyloglibbon
    i have noticed the same flakiness. if i configure the usb stick with unetbootin as a live bt5 install, it starts fine. however, if i use yumi or liveusb, i get the boot error. i did notice that the stick is recognized differently depending on the utility that formats it- when formatted by one utility the bios will see it as a hdd, but if utility formats it, then it is seen as a zip. if i purposefully use a utility to load a floppy driver, then it is seen as a floppy in the boot menu. i am going to research this discrepancy more and report back.

@rizler
    I have the gnome 32 bit iso on my hard drive. no i am not booting it as a vm. it's just the file that you would use to burn a cd. but this linux command

rsync -r /cdrom/* .

makes me think that rsync is going to look for a dvd in the optical drive. i dont want to have to burn a dvd. i just want to point rsync to the source file. i thought rsync could read iso files. but if rsync cannot read into an iso file, then i can mount the iso file with daemon tools or some such utility. how would i specify the particular optical drive for rsync to read?

Just burned his ISO

Default Respuesta: Re: please clarify this instruction in the persistent usb install how-to

Quote Originally Posted by bwana
    rsync -r /cdrom/* .

makes me think that rsync is going to look for a dvd in the optical drive. i dont want to have to burn a dvd. i just want to point rsync to the source file. i thought rsync could read iso files. but if rsync cannot read into an iso file, then i can mount the iso file with daemon tools or some such utility. how would i specify the particular optical drive for rsync to read?
    I don't know about rsync reading ISOs, but to mount it simply use the following commands:
    Code:
    mkdir /tmp/btiso
    sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop /path/to/bt5.iso /tmp/btiso
    ls /tmp/btiso #just to make sure it mounted properly and now you can sync from the mount point
    rsync -r /tmp/btiso/* .
    Check the mount manual page for any clarification.

The mount type is typically iso9660 for .iso files, but it may also be udf.

Default Re: Respuesta: Re: please clarify this instruction in the persistent usb install how-

just a heads up towards your command while it will work you dont need to use the sudo command as you should already be running as root

ok if you are running linux currently what you need to do is mount the iso (its a pretty easy / common thing you should know with linux)
    mkdir /mnt/disc/ && mount /root/Desktop/BT5-GNOME-32.iso /mnt/disc -o ro,loop
    then when you use rsync specify the file location
    rsync -r /mnt/disc/ .

rsync is just a command that speeds up copying of large volumes of files it doesn't need to access a cdrive it can use what ever path you supply
    Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    @hyloglibbon
    i have noticed the same flakiness. if i configure the usb stick with unetbootin as a live bt5 install, it starts fine. however, if i use yumi or liveusb, i get the boot error. i did notice that the stick is recognized differently depending on the utility that formats it- when formatted by one utility the bios will see it as a hdd, but if utility formats it, then it is seen as a zip. if i purposefully use a utility to load a floppy driver, then it is seen as a floppy in the boot menu. i am going to research this discrepancy more and report back.

@rizler
    I have the gnome 32 bit iso on my hard drive. no i am not booting it as a vm. it's just the file that you would use to burn a cd. but this linux command

rsync -r /cdrom/* .

@ byteme & rizler
    thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast