Thread: BT5 on Macbook Pro 2001 (8,2)

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question BT5 on Macbook Pro 2011 (8,2)

Howdy, I've recently dual booted my Macbook Pro 2011 (8,2) with BT5 using rEFIt. BT5 is working fine except for a few bugs in the installation that I'm trying to iron out.

1: If I close my Macbook and allow it to sleep, it will not wake. (Extremely annoying!)

2: The backlit keyboard is no longer 'backlit'.

3: The multitouch trackpad is barely functional. (Tap to click, right click (using both two finger and physical 'click') and two finger scroll no longer work).

4: The resolution is wonky, and the ATI drivers dont fix it. (resolution is 1440x1050 instead of 1680x1050).
    ATI Drivers sourced from [http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...on_linux.aspx]

I'm not worried about the internal Airport card, because from what I've read around these forums, it either doesn't work or doesnt support injection (therefore no use to me). Besides, I have an Alfa AWUS036H coming in the mail in the next week or so.

Does anybody know of any solutions or could possibly point me in the right direction for fixing these bugs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
    Last edited by lemonhead; 06-17-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Thread title typo

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BT5 on Macbook Pro 2001 (8,2)

hey there mate, i recently bought a mac book pro, however i am having trouble even booting of the live disc. Which version did you download, i downloaded the 32bit. tried to boot in to backtrack, gave me the options at the very beggining, went with option one (something about text only mode)? and the screen was just showing static like image? like an old tv. Any suggestion guys?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by nzokdat View Post
    hey there mate, i recently bought a mac book pro, however i am having trouble even booting of the live disc. Which version did you download, i downloaded the 32bit. tried to boot in to backtrack, gave me the options at the very beggining, went with option one (something about text only mode)? and the screen was just showing static like image? like an old tv. Any suggestion guys?
    Have you edited GRUB before booting? Most macs need nomodeset e.g. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text nomodeset reboot=pci"

Use a real computer.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

I've got the 32bit installed successfully. You cant boot it directly from a CD, if you boot in normal (text) mode, your screen goes all crazy. To stop this, boot in no-DRM mode (the screen goes crazy because backtrack doesnt like the graphics drivers). Even then, you'll probably get an error saying cannot find live file system or something along those lines. I got mine to boot/install correctly by making my backtrack 5 iso into a bootable USB using unetbootin, although even then, mac doesnt allow you to boot directly from a USB. To get it to boot properly, you also have to install rEFIt which is a third party EFI bootloader that gives you the option to boot from USB. Its all pretty simple once rEFIt is installed.

I used this guide:
    http://spiidey.blogspot.com/2010/02/...al-on-mac.html

Hope this helps
    Cheers

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BT5 on Macbook Pro 2011 (8,2)

3: The multitouch trackpad is barely functional. (Tap to click, right click (using both two finger and physical 'click') and two finger scroll no longer work).
    I guess the synaptics driver may not be loading, and the trackpad is merely functioning as a mouse. If the synaptics driver is loaded, then right click and two-finger scroll can be activated from System-Preferences-Mouse-Touchpad. Tap to click is enabled by editing /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf.