Thread: Building a pigtail tutorial?

Default Building a pigtail tutorial?

Does anyone know where I can find a good tutorial on building a pigtail connector?

I know it easier to just buy one but I want to learn how to build one myself. Ive search google but always seem to find ways to build the antenna and it already assumes you've purchased a pre-made pigtail.

Thx

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by andyem View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find a good tutorial on building a pigtail connector?

I know it easier to just buy one but I want to learn how to build one myself. Ive search google but always seem to find ways to build the antenna and it already assumes you've purchased a pre-made pigtail.

Thx
    I don't know if there is one, but I can probably give you some pointers.

1. Don't strip off more insulation on either the shield or the center conductor than you need to.

2. If you're soldering, use a variable heat soldering pencil and use only the amount of heat needed to make your connection.

3. Make sure your solder does not wick across your conductors.

4. Use the correct kind of Coax for the frequency band you're working in.

5. Make sure your shield (ground) is properly attached to your connectors on both ends.

6. Use heatshrink tubing over the area where the coax enters the connector.

7. If you're buying crimp on connectors, buy the correct crimping tool as well, or pay a professional to make it for you. There is no substitute in most cases for the correct crimping tool when it comes to making these small connectors.

8. When completed, measure with an ohm meter from center conductor to center conductor should be as close to 0ohms as you can get. Measure from shield to shield, again should be 0ohms. Measure from center conductor to shield, should be Infinite Ohms (open), not 50 ohms as an amateur might expect.

That should probably about cover it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Ack! I vote to buy.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Thx I'll give it a shot.