Thread: display weirdness

Default display weirdness

I installed BT5 gnome 32 bit iso to a usb drive using unetbootin. Of course, i checked the md5 to make sure the image was healthy. Although the initial boot process is ok, the bt5 splash screen has distorted colors. Eventually i am dropped into root. Once i 'startx', the colors are way off again. The desktop is there, all the menus work but the pixel colors are off. Each pixel seems to have a random color so that the screen is barely legible, as if a layer of video 'snow noise' is covering the screen. Going to the display control panel does not offer any options to fix this. I can clean up the text by selecting the monochrome option. This problem occurs if i use either the kde or the gnome 32 bit distros. The md5 hashes are correct so i know the files are good.

I guess I could run Xorg -configure but any changes I make would only be temporary.

Is this a problem with the use of vesamenu.c32 because the splash screen that comes up during the inital boot is also off. How do i fix this?

Default Re: display weirdness

did you install the graphics drivers yet?

well, uh, didnt know i had to do that. doesnt bt5 come with graphics drivers? when i run it as a vm it looks fine. i guess i could put the vm image on my usb and just boot into the usb linux that has virtual box installed. then i could run the bt5 vm or any other iso i want. usb sticks are pretty big these days and could accomodate a bunch of isos. the thing is, that just adds another layer of software that uses ram. if i going to run bt5, then want to use all the ram of the machine for it.

anyway, the tutorial doesnt mention a thing about graphics drivers, and the screenshots of the unetbootin install looks normal.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    well, uh, didnt know i had to do that. doesnt bt5 come with graphics drivers? when i run it as a vm it looks fine. i guess i could put the vm image on my usb and just boot into the usb linux that has virtual box installed. then i could run the bt5 vm or any other iso i want. usb sticks are pretty big these days and could accomodate a bunch of isos. the thing is, that just adds another layer of software that uses ram. if i going to run bt5, then want to use all the ram of the machine for it.

anyway, the tutorial doesnt mention a thing about graphics drivers, and the screenshots of the unetbootin install looks normal.
    Yes, you have to install correct drivers for your card...Or you can enter using recovery mode and use fail safe mode...But it is highly recommended to install Video driver..

right...bt5 comes up beautiful on 2 other machines-it just doesnt like my nvidia card. but no i realiazed i DIDN'T make a persistent usb install-just a live one--this sux--none of my changes would be saved. So i'll redo the install. what's the best way to get the nvidia drivers? i tried doing the apt-get on my live install but it didnt work. And google was not that helpful/

I personally believe the best way to install nvidia drivers is by downloading the latest version straight from the website. Just remember to kill the xserver then run the installer and restart x or reboot