Thread: BT5 + Gnome looks for /usr/bin/startkde

Just burned his ISO

Default BT5 + Gnome looks for /usr/bin/startkde

First off: a gynormous thanks to the team for this awesome release which comes with Gnome pre-installed ... I will definitely be using it a lot more now!

Now, onto the actual bug: on a fresh install after running fix-splash, apt-get dist-upgrade and installing a bunch of software, after rebooting startx would no longer work.

There I was thinking the culprit was fbdev as it spat out an (EE) /dev/fb0 no such file or directory, until I realized it was another line saying that in /root/.xinitrc it couldn't execute /usr/bin/startkde.

I checked the contents with cat and realized it was just one line, so a very simple fix if this happens to you, just run:
    Code:
    rm /root/.xinitrc
    Unfortunately, I can't elaborate more on what caused the actual problem as I didn't pay the attention I should've to the file creation and whatnot, but I am hoping this helps

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BT5 + Gnome looks for /usr/bin/startkde

Thanks for that. I've just ran into the same problem. The thing is, that I was actually running KDE backtrack, and somehow managed to inadvertently install gnome interface over it. It's all screwed, but at least I can get in to copy the files. The weird thing is that I have KDE BT5 and Kubuntu 11.04 on separate partitions, and after it happened (not sure which one did it, I used them both in the same day) they both became gnome lol, how can this be? I suppose reinstalling them both is the only way, but I'm wondering what would happen if I copy everything from the backtrack partition, reinstall and update it, and then put those folders back, whether that may mean I wouldn't have to reinstall everything else over again. Or maybe there is a way to just install KDE on top of gnome?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BT5 + Gnome looks for /usr/bin/startkde

IIRC the contents of the /root/.xinitrc were just "exec /usr/bin/startkde" so the following might fix it:
    Code:
    echo exec /usr/bin/startkde > /root/.xinitrc
    Of course, make sure you backup a previous .xinitrc if you have one and it has any useful commands in it.

And I make no guarantees, never been much of a KDE user :P