Thread: RT2870 Based Devices - possible problems

Just burned his ISO

Default RT2870 Based Devices - possible problems

The problem in backtrack 5 is inherited from Ubuntu 10.04. That release happens to load rt2800usb variant modules, and also loads the 2870 STA module. This causes problems, namely your wireless card to act vary strangely - If it works at all.

Blacklist the STA driver, and should resolve issues.

Just thought I'd share.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: RT2870 Based Devices - possible problems

Hmmm...i have a linksys wusb600n RT2870 chipset. I've went to see my modules and all i could find was rt2800usb,lib and some other variants and i did not see the 2870 sta module. I'm having problems detecting wireless networks while doing airodump-ng start mon0. Any other help?

Just burned his ISO

Here you can get the drivers: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers. Check if it is of some help. If you need help on how to install it, let me know.

Just burned his ISO

I got a rt3070l that will not work under beini or bt5. Ive tried blacklisting the rt2800usb and rt2870sta and with the 2800 I get nothing, no networks found but with the 2870 I can find them with Wicd but cant connect to any. Inside aircrack-ng it cant see anything on ether one. I not sure what to do with the file i got from that link. Got to here http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...x-firmware.git and clicked snapshot by the top with master by it, extracted it and that's where I'm stuck as I have no idea what to do with the files. Im fresh to linux so I barely know what I'm doing so any help would be great. Im using FeedingBottle 3.2 for BT5 to use aircrack inside of VMware since I'm a noobie.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Azkrath View Post
    Here you can get the drivers: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers. Check if it is of some help. If you need help on how to install it, let me know.
    i think i know but would you mind telling me? I'll REALLY appreciate.

Just burned his ISO

Default Respuesta: RT2870 Based Devices - possible problems

I have a rt2870usb device and had quite some issues. The driver will load correclty but it couldn't scan and caused inestability.

I fixed by pulling the latest git from linux-firmware and then moving the rt*.bin files to the /lib/firmware folder.

It seems that the latest drivers had some fixes because I unloaded the drivers and loaded them again and it works like a charm.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Respuesta: RT2870 Based Devices - possible problems

Quote Originally Posted by RuLaX View Post
    I have a rt2870usb device and had quite some issues. The driver will load correclty but it couldn't scan and caused inestability.

I fixed by pulling the latest git from linux-firmware and then moving the rt*.bin files to the /lib/firmware folder.

It seems that the latest drivers had some fixes because I unloaded the drivers and loaded them again and it works like a charm.
    Can you do that from command line? I really wanna get this fix.
    thanks

Just burned his ISO

Default Respuesta: Re: Respuesta: RT2870 Based Devices - possible problems

Quote Originally Posted by kolld View Post
    Can you do that from command line? I really wanna get this fix.
    thanks
    Actually, it didn't solve it at all.

Updating to the latest wireless-compat 01/06/2011 seems to have fixed all related problems with the RT307x.

You can check the instrudctions on the wireless-compat page but they are as easy as make, make install and a reboot.